❶❹

"Now that my mind isn't shared with thoughts of Eli, it's completely retrained on him, which is the worse thing that could ever happen

"Now that my mind isn't shared with thoughts of Eli, it's completely retrained on him, which is the worse thing that could ever happen."
- Peri

Asshole wouldn't even be the word to describe what Eli was to me. More like liar, player, and deceiver, three things that would allocate the boy to a tee. On the outside, I didn't even care about this situation, I got what I wanted and that was that. I wasn't going to throw a fit and pace the ground teeming with anger. But, I didn't even think about how I felt on the inside, because a single tear had fallen from my eye, and onto my touchscreen.

Staring down at it, I cursed at myself for wasting tears on a boy such as Eli. He wasn't a good man, and there isn't a terrible man who deserves to be wept over. Before I could wipe it, I spotted someone rounding the corner of the building. From the looks of it, it appeared to be Roman, who seemed to be exhausted.

"Oh my god, I've been looking everywhere for you." He informed, finally walking up on me. When the boy caught sight of my one glazed tear, his face filled with sorrow. "Peri, what's wrong?"

I painted a fake smile on my face, in attempts to prevent any more tears from dropping. "I broke up with Eli, turns out he only wanted me for sex. Which is exactly what I thought, so I don't know why I'm so surprised."

Roman cupped my face, forcing me to view him. He still held the same expression, which made me realize that him feeling bad for me was actually genuine. "Don't say that, a dude being that much of a dick shouldn't be normal or unsurprising to you." The pad of his thumb reached up, and swept away my waterworks. "I'll beat his ass when we go home."

His words made me laugh, and I guess that that was his intention ever since I told him the news. I loved the fact that I could always rely on him to be there for me, and to make me feel good in a shitty situation. "Shut up." I chuckled, avoiding his eyes which stayed glued to mine.

"I'm serious, nobody messes with my Peri and gets to walk away without a foot up their ass." This time, though, I didn't laugh, or even find what he said funny. Roman sounded serious, which only made me wonder what he meant by "my Peri".

"What do you mean, my Peri?" I question, because yes, there are multiple ways that he could've meant that. But only one specific one danced around my mind.

"You're mine, is what I mean, no matter what boy comes into the picture, I'll always have your back way more than they do. Is it fun to make them think you're theirs, yes, it is. And I don't care about how possessive that sounds." Roman elaborated, letting go of my face. We stood there for a few seconds, thinking about what he had just said. I decided to just sweep any other connotation that I had in mind under the rug, and walk back instead.

He followed behind closely, making sure to walk before me in order to open the doors. I was then reminded of where we had left off at the dinner table, and how I was going to be forced to answer. There's no way that they forgot about the situation, especially my brother.