❷❸

"Has she always been this

"Has she always been this ... crazy?"
- Asher

Would shocked even be an accurate adjective to describe what I felt at this moment? Was what I was feeling even in the ballpark of being surprised? Well, yeah, I was caught off guard, but I think a part of me knew that this day was inevitable. The boy was bound to cave, I could sense it, it was all a matter of when and where. Here, though, wasn't a good place for him to act on whatever was fumbling through his mind.

So of course I pushed him away, for that, and for other obvious reasons. When I did so, he just looked at me, his breath being caught smoothly. His chest rose and fell calmly, as if he had other things to worry about than breathing.

"Can we just pretend like that didn't-"

"No, we can't," He interrupted, and scratched the back of his head. "because I wanted it to happen. Like, that wasn't heat of the moment, it was me making a move."

I moved my lips between my teeth, my mouth forming a straight line. "Well can you unmake it?"

"W-Wait," Nate stopped with a chuckle. "I thought this was what you wanted?"

"What I want is Roman, you made yourself explicitly clear that you didn't want any parts of me. I don't even want to get into what your thoughts have morphed into now." I explain, and try to move past him, but of course, he stepped in front of me. "Move, Nathan."

"No, this doesn't make any sense."

"What makes you think that I'm supposed to abandon everything I've done to get over you, just because you've changed your mind? For all I know, this could be you trying to rebound from Penelope."

"Juliet was my rebound."

"Either way, you tried to shoot your shot with her and you missed, which calls for another rebound." I point out, and he finally let me make my way around him. As I opened the door, I turned back around to view him, I wasn't finished. "Oh, and fuck you, like from the bottom of my heart, Nathan. Fuck. You."

X

Later that night, when the party ended and everyone went home, Asher followed my family in his car. He stopped home on the way, though, just to get his overnight bag. Mom and Dad were particularly silent when we reached home without him, so I shot them both a look.

"What's that for?" The woman asked, sitting her purse on top of the counter.

"You guys, you're so quiet, like you're hiding something." I brought up, and sat down at the island. "Are you having second thoughts about letting Asher stay the night?"

"N-No, Peri, it's not like that," My Dad corrected from the foyer. "just be easy on the kid, alright? His family is going through something and he needs a friend. The fact that he came to you speaks mountains, so I just wanted to warn you."