Chapter Twelve

Top Commenter: tori_salas13

Word Count: 1738 (I strived for this, for that one commenter)

~Mara

At first, I thought that maybe she would shut the door in my face, expelling every idea before I could insinuate. Instead, her face softened, and she opened the front door wider. The gesture shocked me into stillness for a moment.

"Are you lost?" She asks softly. I nod, not knowing what else I should do. She motions for me to step inside, and I do, trying to make sure I don't look at her stomach.

"I don't actually live here anymore. I live with my mate," she says from behind me.

"Your mate," I say sourly. I cringe, scolding myself from saying that aloud. But I couldn't but think of Coen as she said the word mate.

When I twist around to face her, she is looking at me in confusion.

"His name is Landon..." She shakes her head. "I should really be asking about you."

My gaze averts to my feet. As a Purity Pack member, I find it nearly impossible to lie to someone's face. Maybe if I can keep my head down, I can do this.

"I don't even know who I am," I mumble. My ploy must have worked, as she wanders closer, her hand touching my shoulder gently. I glance up, meeting her gaze.

Like a knife digging into my heart, I see how genuine she looks. Her eyes are so soft and warm, I want to cry in her arms, and beg her to send me home. But Kaden's face lingers in the back of my mind, his threats a taunting reminder of the position I've been forced into.

She has no idea.

"Are you from this Pack?" She asks.

"I think so," I say breathily. She should be able to tell, from my accent, and appearance I'm not from here, but she doesn't question a thing.

Althea is obviously worried about getting too close to me, like I might lash out at her. But still, she grabs my hand, giving it a brief squeeze.

"I'm about to go home. Would you like to come back with me? You can shower there, and we can try find your family," she offers warmly. I notice her check my neck with a sharp gaze, checking to see if I was mated.

I nod my head, a little too eagerly. She somewhat waddles over to a large box placed by the door. When I offer her help, she shakes her head in dismissal.

"I may be pregnant, but it doesn't mean I'm not capable," she says with a short laugh. She props the door open with her foot, and points with her forehead for me to go out the door first.

The sun is starting to set outside, and it is setting a soft glow over everything. I breath in the balmy air, while Althea slams the door behind her.

Carrying her box, I follow Althea back down the road. My legs ache from walking so much, and my skin has an insatiable itch.

"How long have you walked?" Althea asks me, after a good ten minutes walking. I give her an honest answer of about an hour. I refrain from telling her it was in the hot sun as well.

"You must be tired. Do you know why you can't remember anything?" She asks breezily. My forehead creases as I think. Manipulative words coming out of my mouth make me feel like I should spend every day from now on praying for the Moon Goddesses forgiveness.

I shrug. "I woke up on the side of the road with hardly any memories."

At least she doesn't have to know my name. I'm sure if she heard it was Mara, she would alert Alpha Elijah of the Purity Pack. They are bound to be looking for me right now.