Chapter Thirteen

Top Commenter: makaylaambrose16

Word Count: 1818

~Kaden

My gloved fingers tapped on the steering wheel rhythmically. The bandage once on my cheek is long gone. It's the next day from seeing Mara, and my wound has healed easily. Healing is no problem when you're an Alpha.

I watch from a distance, my car concealed behind a mass of leaves. Mara is leant against a tree, talking to Althea. The pair seem to be getting alone greatly, which means the plan is coming along.

I shift in my seat as Landon walks out of the house. For a young Alpha, he's strong; I will have to keep an eye on him.

He glances at Mara, coming around to stand by Althea's side. The three start chatting, and I gather that this is the first time Landon and Mara are meeting.

If he tries something funny, I swear....

The two shake hands, before Althea says something that makes Landon's face darken. He takes a step toward her, and I instantly sit up, straining my eyes to ensure he doesn't hurt her.

Althea comes between Landon and Mara, pushing back on Landon's chest while yelling at him. I wish I was closer so I could hear what they are saying.

Althea and Landon pull away from Mara to talk. It's obvious, even from here, that they are wondering if they can trust her.

The look on Mara's face, as she stands, alone to the side tugs at my heart. I hate that. I can't stand the fact that she is making me feel things. My entire reign of Alpha has willed me to expel all feelings toward anyone. My only release is with desperate females of my Pack, who I discard a day after.

Only one female will ever satisfy me.

I turn the car, and back it up. I need to get out of here, before I get out of my car and interfere. Mara needs to do this on her own....

❣••❣

I wait for darkness to fall, before I even dare approach the Alphas house. Parking my car far from the house, I stalk through the woods.

Mara plays in my mind. Her soft blonde hair, her bright blue eyes. I shall not admit she's beautiful, for that will cause me weakness. And weakness was my fathers demise.

I sit on the fallen log outside Mara's window, waiting. Knocking on her window is pointless; she knows I'm here.

Suddenly the window slams open, and a body flies out toward me. I remain in my stance, watching a disheveled torso land at my feet. When a giggle arises, my eyes roll.

"What are you doing on the ground?" I question bitterly. I knell down, as Mara collects herself off the dirt. She looks at me, her cheeks bright red, her eyes glazed over. A tentative hand reaches out at my face, but I'm quick to catch her wrist in my gloved grip.

"I think I fell," she says, her voice a pondering wonder. Her words slur over each other, and I come to a grim conclusion.

"You're drunk."

I help her to her feet, and she falls against my chest, giggling like my statement is the funniest joke she's ever heard. She's so small, it wouldn't surprise me if she got drunk after two decent drinks.

"Drunk? I've never been drunk before," she states. She pauses, and for a moment I think she's going to cry, but she proceeds to burst out laughing.

She's lost it.

"Why would they let you get drunk?" I question. Anger brews in my chest, as I think of Landon trying to get her completely wasted. Her eyes widen, and she claps a hand over her mouth.