one.

For those wondering, I got the idea of this story from the movie Equal. Go check it out!

But here it is! My new story! I hope you guys enjoy it. I really liked writing this chapter :).

It was hard to be the same as everyone else when you know deep inside that you're so different. It's even harder when you don't know what about you is different, just that something inside of you is burning to let everyone know.

I do the same things everyday. I wake up and change into the same white set of clothes I wear every single day. Then I walk to the mirror and look at myself. I feel wrong in this color. I should be in black.

I am different.

Walking around the courtyard everyday is always a new experience, which is strange for a society that is remotely the same throughout the whole thing.

Everyday you see new people, some in black and some in white. Occasionally you'll see the person in brown, someone that had broken society's rules and are on probation. If anyone that isn't wearing silver talks to them, you are sent to a probation center where they run tests on you, diagnose you as a different, and set you in a brown jumpsuit.

You see, silvers are the society's "safe keepers". They keep people out of trouble and back into the same agenda that goes along every single day.

I look over to the one person I could share my feelings and thoughts to without feeling a major risk of being diagnosed as a Different. Her name was Kirstin, nicknames weren't allowed, but I called her Kirstie anyway. 

"I've heard of this place." I start, gaining her attention as she looks over to me. "It's sounds amazing."

"What place?" She asks, walking over to me.

"I don't know what it's called, but everyone isn't the same. You can wear whatever you want and colors don't mean anything. You can fall in love with anyone. It doesn't matter if it's a girl or a boy. You can even be the same gender as them. I think it's called a Gay. You don't have to follow the same instructions everyday. It sounds so...freeing." Kirstie frowns, looking down.

"Mitch, you know we can't talk about that stuff. If people find out, you'll be sent away and marked as a Different." She explains to me.

"What if I am a Different?" I ask.

"You are not a Different, you are a confused teenage boy. I'm sure lots of people have those thoughts, but that's the things. They're thoughts and you shouldn't voice them." She says, sitting down again. "And you know you shouldn't voice them."

"I'm sure that place let's you say whatever you want. If you were thinking something, you'd be allowed to say it and no one would care. I hate it here. Everything is so strict." Kirstie nods and hands me my name tag, it reading: Mitchell. Everyone called me it except Kirstie.

"We should get going." Kirstie says. I follow her out of the door and walk through the courtyard with her. This was the only thing that I enjoyed about it. Seeing different people everyday. It was the only time things were ever different.

I knew Kirstie was upset with me, she hated when I spoke against the society's rules, even if she agreed with me. She just didn't want me to be taken and marked as a Different, because once you were a Different, no one came near you. It was like they had a disease that was highly contagious. If a Different was in the room, people would walk at the other side of it, as far as they could from them.

Except me. I walked where I walked. I wasn't going to move away because of someone who really had nothing wrong with them. Kirstie was usually the one to pull me away without anyone seeing. As you weren't supposed to touch anywhere until you were an adult. Kirstie and I had to keep our touches to a minimum.

My mother thinks that Kirstie and I are going to get married. I think Kirstie's mother thinks the same. We both agreed that we think otherwise, even if it would be easier to marry each other when we get to be an adult.

"Mitchell." Kirstie says. I honestly hated when she called me by my real name, but she had to when we weren't in the safety of our homes or somewhere else secretive. "Come over here." I look to see a Different walking through. He was looking down and awkwardly walking past everyone quite quickly. I felt bad for him.

I walk over to Kirstie, trying to "avoid" him like everyone else. I didn't want to, but I knew I had too. He had blonde hair from what I could see. He was looking at the floor, so I couldn't really see what his facial features were, but he was quite tall.

"Stop staring at him." Kirstie whispers, continuing to walk through the courtyard.

"I feel bad for him." I whisper back, now placing my gaze at Kirstie's face.

"So do I, Mitchell, but we have to do what we have to do. You are a Normal, he is a Different. Don't let anyone think that you are a Different. I know you aren't." I nod at her words and continue walking until we get to our class.

In our school, it was one giant class. Everyone that was of the same age went to the same class. If you were seven, your class would be full of every seven year old that wasn't a Different. For me, I'm sixteen. Kirstie and I have a class full of sixteen year olds. It was a shock when you see how many kids are the same age as you. Everyone kind of keeps to themselves in this society. If you had a friend, it was one or two, maybe three at the maximum.

No one likes to get attached to people, mainly because they were afraid that their new friend would become a Different, or even because they were afraid that they'd become a Different.

But Kirstie and I weren't afraid of it, mainly because I was sure that I was a Different, and I was positive that Kirstie knew too. But she loved me too much to ever tell anyone, and I couldn't appreciate her enough.

Without her, I'd of been diagnose as a Different a long time ago.