eighteen

Talking to Mitch was so much better than talking to anyone else, that is if we weren't arguing. It felt natural and easy to put up with. The only problem was, I couldn't seem to get Mitch to talk to me unless he was ripping me to shreds. Everything I have done and said about him has come across the wrong way. I'd never try to hurt him. Others, maybe, but definitely not Mitch.

"Guys, I'm begging you." I plead. "Get him to have one conversation with me so I can clear this up." Esther looks over to Kirstie who was with a hand sitting on her hip. Kirstie looks back to her.

"What's in it for us?" Esther says, looking at Scott. "All you've done was be an asshole to me for doing what you want to do now."

"Yeah, I agree. You can't yell at her for talking to Mitch and then tell me to leave him alone, and then beg us when you want to do the exact same thing." Kirstie snaps. I could barely look at her when she got like this, it was actually terrifying. She was strangely intimidating for being as small as she is. But they were right, and there was nothing I could really do.

"I know, y'all are right. It's just, I've realized how bad I want to continue to talk to Mitch. Esther, if you and Avi make it work with being a Different and a Normal, I can make it work with Mitch." I could see the thought in Esther's face. "And I at least need to apologize to him. I feel awful for leaving things the way they are. One talk, then if he's done with me still, he's done with me." Kirstie was chewing the side of her lip. I could swear that she was actually taking this into consideration.

"Haven't you done enough?" She asks, a quite different look on her face then what has been resting there the rest of talk.

"What else can I do? Piss him off with my apology?" I ask sarcastically. I probably shouldn't of used sarcasm in this situation, but there was no taking it back now.

"Knowing you, you probably could." Kirstie says. I drop my head, groaning. I was right, sarcasm doesn't mix well with Kirstie.

"Kirstie, please. Does Mitch hate me that much?" I ask, hoping she told me otherwise. She sighs and runs her fingers through her blonde locks.

"No. He doesn't hate you at all. He is afraid of you." That wasn't the response I wanted. "He doesn't want to fall in love with you. He won't admit that he is afraid of it, but I know him.
And I know you, and you'll do the same thing if he does."

"But that's the thing, Kirstie. What if I already have?" I couldn't believe the words I was spilling to two girls that hated my guts, but right now, I'd do anything to talk to Mitch one last time.

"Well then keep it to yourself. You'll scare him away if you tell him." She had a point, but knowing myself, I'd find a way to screw things up, just like this whole situation I was in now.

"Does this mean I can talk to him?" I ask, a twinkle of hope shining in my eyes. She thinks for a few more seconds.

"This means that I will talk to him and try my hardest to get him to agree. As much as I don't like you, I know Mitch would be ten times happier than he is now with you at his side. No falling in love!" She says. "That's my only request."

"I'll try." I say. "But thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!" I run up and hug her, surprised when I hear her laugh and fee her arms wrap around my torso. I lift her legs into the air and twirl her around.

"Okay, okay. Too much." She says. I laugh and set her down. I look to Esther. She had her head tilted back slightly, eyes shut, and arms wide open. Instead of hugging her, I lightly poke her shoulder. She opens her eyes, a sincere frown on her face. I pull her in for a hug eventually, earning a big smile from her. We didn't always hate each other. In fact, we never really did. She was like my little sister. Now, Avi and her don't act like normal siblings. They never fight. Esther and I are like the siblings that always fight.

"Don't hurt him, please." Kirstie says when I pull back from the hug with Esther. "He would be so mad at me if I set this up and you are mean. I just got him to like me again."

"I wouldn't hurt him and he never stopped liking you, only was a little hurt by your gestures. But all is well, I won't do anything stupid like usual."

"He definitely does stupid things". Esther says, both Kirstie and I turning to look at her. "Like all the time. Like try talk to Normals, and argue with Salik this one time. Oh! He also tried to-"

"We get it, Esther. I'm a stupid bitch, no need to go into detail." I say. Kirstie chuckles from the side. "Now, Kirstie, have you ever had eggs? Mitch hasn't, he thought I was eating  baby chickens, which I was not."

"No...I haven't." She says in a curious tone. Esther's jaw drops to the floor, resulting in a few laughs.

"I must make them for you!" I insist. "Eventually. When you finally come to my lair."
I say with a smirk.

"Mitch has been to it?"

"Oh yeah. I introduced him to coffee as well, but he denied it." And also cuddled him all night and got about a centimeter away from kissing him, but we won't bring that up.

"Coffee?"

"You people live awful lives without eggs or coffee!" Esther yells. "Scott, get this girl some life savers!" I laugh, but Kirstie just looked confused.

"What is coffee?"

"It's a drink. It's very caffeinated and can be very bitter or sweet, depending on how you want it. You'll probably like it sweet since you're a beginner, but you'll grow to like more bitter things."

"There is like levels and shit to this? I have to grow to like it? I don't know if I'm down for this?"

"You will be when you try it, then you'll thank me forever."