twelve.

I was silent. No words could come from my mouth. If I were to speak, every word I'd say would offend her. I know that I have fucked up. I know that Kirstie had a right to be mad at me and that I should've been there for her, but what she did doesn't compare to anything that I've done.

She literally hired someone to practically babysit me. To watch over me and make sure I wouldn't go and fuck myself over. I am capable of watching myself. Hell, I'd rather be turned in then have someone waste their life trying to save mine when I don't want help in the first place.

"I'm sorry, Mitch. I don't know what else to say." Kirstie says, fidgeting with her fingers. I shake my head. I couldn't even look at her. "Mitch-"

"Stop. Just stop." I say quickly, before she says something that triggers something even more inside of me.

"I didn't mean for this to happen. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Please forgive me." She begs. I couldn't find words to say.

"I want you to explain everything to me." I say as calm as I can. "Why this Kevin guy knew who I was. Why Scott was hired to act like my fucking parent. I'm not a baby, Kirstie! I can take care of myself! I don't need your pity or whatever the reason you felt the need to do this shit!"

"Mitch, it wasn't pity! I did it for myself." She admits. "I didn't want to lose you. I couldn't lose you. I did it because I wanted you in my life."

"Because you were being selfish." I tell her. "You tried to stop me from what I was told. You tried to prevent what Drake told me, what he told us!" I snap. "What the fuck happened to staying true to ourselves! I try so hard not to go against that! But then this shit happens!"

"Please stop yelling." Kirstie all but whispers. I shake my head before standing up and walking towards the door of Drakes Den. "Mitch, don't go-"

"Don't tell me what to do. You can hire Scott to do that for you." I say before walking out completely, shutting the door behind me.

I didn't want to cry, I wouldn't cry. I felt used. I felt betrayed. My best friend. Of all people, my best friend was the one who kept me from Drakes words. I shake my head and continue back towards the courtyard, gladly taking my time through the back of the building for extra alone time. Time to think.

I see a shadow behind me. I didn't even want to turn around, just keep walking forward. The figure shakes their head. I wasn't in the mood.

"You're wrong-"

"I don't fucking need this right now." I snap, turning around and pushing my finger into his chest. "I don't need, or want, you to be my fucking babysitter. I thought you talked to me because you fucking wanted to, not because you were hired to."

"I did want to."

"Bullshit."

"Can you chill out and let me explain? She was worried about you Mitch. She did it to help you."

"No. She did it to help herself. She wanted me to help her. And she couldn't have that if I was a Different. So she hired someone to keep me sane, and that is you, right? You're nothing more than someone who is wasting their time trying to 'save' someone else. I don't need to be saved."

"I didn't have to talk to you." Scott says. "I didn't even want to. That day in the instruction hall? The first time we talked? Completely my decision. Yes, I was in the hall because you were. The fall? That was my clumsy ass self. I didn't want to talk to you at all. Just watch over you. But I couldn't stop myself once I started. You're addicting, Mitch." I roll my eyes and turn away. "Don't walk away from me." He says, grabbing my arms me turning me back. "I didn't even want you to know who I was because I felt bad that I had to do it. I never wanted to talk to you. I fucking love talking to you now. I never want it to end when I do."

"All we do is argue. How on earth is that enjoyable. Addicting? That's not the truth."

"Mitch, have you ever kissed someone?"

"No. I haven't. And I'm not going to for awhile, don't try anything with me."

"I'm not going to. Don't kiss anyone until you're an adult. You'll want to, but don't. Even if someone you really like is right there, several centimeters away. Deny it."

"Why are you telling me this?" I ask, a hand on my hip.

"Because I'm afraid that we will get to that point."

"No. We won't. I'm done with you. We won't talk anymore, so you won't even have to worry about that. Tell Kevin that this stupid little deal is off. I'm not here to be played with." I say. I didn't realize how close we were until he let out a soft sigh, his breathe hitting the side of my face.

"Okay." He says.

"Okay?" I ask. "That's it?"

"What do you want me to say, Mitch?"

"Say something to make me hate you!" I say and push him away. "I want to hate you so bad! I really do, but I don't! How can I hate someone that I always want to be around and touch. It's so fucking scary!"

"Then don't make me go. Im done watching over you, but don't stop talking to me."

"No. I can't, Scott. You're a Different. As much as I know I am too, I've got to pretend. Being a Normal is the only thing I still have going for me." Scott nods.

"So this is it?" He asks. "No more talking? It's just done with?"

"It has to be. It's easier for both of us to just go back to how things were before we met."

"Don't forget me."

"I don't think I could ever forget you."