twenty three.

There isn't very many chapter left to this :o. I have no idea if I'm making a second book or a long epilogue. I'll let ya know soon :).

Hanging out with Scott was almost like hanging out with Kirstie. I felt comfortable and safe, like nothing I said could hurt me. I trusted him and I hoped that he trusted me as well. Ever since the kiss, we've been almost inseparable. I love his presence. The only time I wasn't with him was during class, lunch, and after 1:00 in the morning. We talked and walked around the courtyard at nights.

I looked past everything in the past, I thought it'd be the best decision if I were to forget it. I didn't want to be mad at anyone, so I wouldn't be. I wasn't going to let myself. I wanted friends and to have people I could trust with my life. How was I supposed to have that if I was mad at Scott and Kirstie? It wouldn't happen.

His hand started moving. It was around my waist comfortable, but now he moved it to run up and down my hip slightly. I wasn't arguing. I enjoyed the touch. I didn't care if it was completely against rules. At this point, my entire was life was against the society. I didn't let it affect me anymore, because I stayed by what Drake said and I'm happy about it. I've been true to myself since he left.

"What are you thinking about?" Scott asks, snapping me out of my trance. He had started to look me in the eye more. He could control himself. I enjoyed eye contact with him, his big blue eyes looking into mine. It made me feel jittery and skittish. I liked it.

"Nothin'." I reply with a smile, continuing to serve into his eyes as they stare back. "Just the stupid fucking society." He chuckles while looking away and around the Shack.

"What about it?" He was genuinely curious. I could see it in the way his eyebrows would furrow a little and the small tint in his eyes. It all gave it away, not that he was trying to hide it.

"That I'm a living example of everything a Normal shouldn't be." I say back with a humorous chuckle. I felt Scott pull me a little closer, trying to go unnoticed. I didn't say I felt it. I'd give him the satisfaction.

"Me too. I'm proud of it. Fuck the society. I'm gay, I'm touching someone before I'm an adult, and I want to leave this shithole." I smile, feeling the similarity in both of our emotions and feelings. We had a lot in common, it was nice.

"You know, I told Kirstie about this place. It's like, the complete opposite of this place. Being gay is legal, the government doesn't separate people they have something against, you can actually see color as well. I wish I lived there, I wouldn't hate things so much." I tell him. He is the only person I've told this, except Kirstie. I hope he could see how much I trusted him to tell him this stuff. He looks down at me and chuckles.

"You mean every place but this society?" He asks, a smile playing his lips stunningly. "Mitch, we are the only place that has this. One step outside of the societies borders, and we aren't part of this place anymore. We would be...free." I look up. It was possible. It sounded easy enough, just take a step out of the borders and we'd be good. I'd be free.

"Let's do it." I say. The look he gave me next wasn't what I wanted to see. He looked confused, also silently telling me that I was insane. "We don't want to be here anyway. Let's get everyone and leave." He shakes his head.

"I don't think you understood what I was saying." He says to me while playing with the edge of the blanket covering both of us. "There are so many guards at the border. There is two sanctions before you even get to the border. You'd be killed for entering the first one, let alone getting to the border. It's a death wish." He knew so many things, it was confusing. Maybe I didn't know him as much as I thought I did, he seemed to know everything.

"How do you know all of this stuff?" I ask. "You're part of the society just like me, but I'm completely oblivious to it all. Why?" He looks down at me and opens his mouth to speak.

"I'm a Different." He says simply. "We get told a lot more shit than you guys." He looked away again, I could feel him losing eye contact the more we talked. "They brought us there, told us that we belonged out there. It's a lot hotter by the border. I couldn't stop sweating." I look to him to continue. I wanted more information, what it looked like, was it completely armed with alarms and weapons.

"Is it doable?" He looks to me with confusion. "Leaving, Scott. Is it doable?"

"I won't let you do it." He says while shaking his head. "No way in hell. You'd be killing yourself."

"You didn't answer my question." I explain to him. He shakes his head.

"Then no, it's not doable. Not without a Different to lead you the way and I'm the only one you know. I won't help you, I'm sorry." He was doing it for my safety, but I wanted to leave, not be safe.

"You don't want to leave?" I ask. I knew the answer, of course he did. We had talked about it before, but he failed to bring up the border last time.

"I do, but not if I risk death."

"We haven't even started living here. We've been dead since we stepped foot in this society, haven't you seen that? Once we leave, we will be living." He was listening and he believed me. I could see it in his face and actions.

"The border is loaded with guards, alarms, and electric fences. There is like a 1% chance that we will be alive after attempting, and even lower chance of surviving outside of the society."

"I'm willing to take those chances. Aren't you?"

"I am, Mitch. But I'm not ready for you to take those chances."