13

Not edited xo

"You should've known that"

I felt my heart beat increasing as the proximity between us decreased. His hot breath hit right below my ear. His lips were centimetres away from my cheek. His hand held mine with a powerful grip.

"That dress looks very beautiful on you", He whispered in my ears. I felt my breathing becoming deeper and shorter.

"What are you doing here?", I asked in a startled tone.

"What are you doing here?", He asked. His tone was stern and he looked straight at me.

"I came here with my friends", I muttered lowly.

"Why didn't you pick up my calls?", He asked. His voice was very threatening and my heart beat increased. "I was so scared. I thought something happened to you"

"Well, you clearly didn't want to talk to me when I called you in the morning", I stated and tried to take my hand out of his grip.

"I called you six times, Miss Harper. At least you could've been courteous enough to pick up the call and tell me you are mad at me", Daniel gave me a serious look and then we broke into laughter.

"Did you actually come all the way here to check up on me?", I asked. The flight must've costed more than my three month pocket money. Combined.

"I had some other work but I did come to this party because of you", He whispered in my ears. He knew the effect of this decreasing proximity had on me. He was wearing a suit and looked like he had come directly from an official meeting.

"It's a boring party", I scoffed.

"Or you are not much of a party person", He reasoned.

"Oh please. I'm a total party person"

"That's why you were out here in the middle of the party", He smirked. He knew what he was saying, he knew what he was saying was right.

"Well, I just needed fresh air", I rolled my eyes.

"Let's go back inside then, you party animal", He laughed. Daniel's laughter was that laughter you'd know want go record and listen to reply forever. It was short, chirpy and melodious.

"You'd have to leave my hand then", I said and pursed my lips to hide the smile.

"What?", He asked dumbfounded.

"This?", I pointed at his hand's grip on mine. He immediately left my hand, a little flustered.

"Let's go", He grumbled. People around recognised him but no one said anything. Their excitement to see him was less than their fear of his power.

"Kiara", Elise called out for me. She looked gorgeous in the yellow light. "I've been looking all over for you"

"Sorry.. I went outside and met--", I turned to see that Daniel was slowly examining Elise's face.

"Daniel Knight", She confidently said.

A part of me didn't want Daniel to look at her. She was way prettier than me and I had to admit it. Ofcourse I'd feel insecure in her presence.

"Have I see you somewhere?", Daniel furrowed his eyebrows. Where? When? What? Do they know each other? What is happening?

"I'm Elise Portman", She smiled gracefully and put her hand forth. Daniel's forehead visibly relaxed after he remembered her. "We met at the MET Galla"

"Grand daughter of Athena Portman", He acknowledged her and shook her hand lightly.

"Yeah. My grand mother is really good friend with yours. They've told me so much about you", She laughed.

I felt a little uncomfortable that Elise did not tell me that she had met him before. But in her defense, we hadn't really talked alot that she'd tell me everything.

"Yeah!", Daniel smiled. "Gran is pretty close to her"

"Well, I'll leave both of you. I assume Kiara won't need a ride home from me now", She smirked and winked. Blush made way on my cheek and Daniel chuckled.

"Thank you, Elise", He answered. "It was nice to meet you"

She smiled and then made her way through the crowd. I looked at her till she disappeared in the group of people.

"Would you like a drink?", He asked.

"I don't drink", I pursed my lips. He examined my face for a second.

"That's fair, Miss Harper", Daniel gave a curt nod. "So--"

"Hey", Jake walked towards me with two drinks. Jake kept smiling and looking at me. He was completely oblivious to Daniel's presence beside me.

"Hi uh", I answered and smiled.

"I got you a drink", Jake smiled.

"I thought you didn't drink", Daniel commented sharply. His voice sounded annoyed.

"I don't", I stated firmly. The atmosphere got really uncomfortable to be in.

"Who is he?", Daniel asked to me. His eyes looking sharply at me.

"Who are you?", Jake asked in confusion.

"I'm her boyfriend", Daniel stepped between us. As if he was one comment away from beating the living grace out of Jake.

My mouth fell and I took a deep breathe.

"Oh", Jake regained his posture. "I'm sorry bro. I didn't know she had a boyfriend. All yours, mate"

"That's better", Daniel said authoritatively. "Now it'd be really great if you left me and my girlfriend alone"

"I'll leave you to it", Jake left at a very startled note.

"We're leaving", Daniel ordered.

"Why?", I looked at Daniel angrily.

"Because I said so, Miss Harper", He said. His jaws were clenched and he took my hand in his. As soon as his finger touched mine, my self confidence melted and I followed him.

We walked out of the room and further to his car. Before unlocking the doors, he looked at me and said.

"You were right. It was a very boring party indeed"

"How long are you going to me boyfriend, boyfriend?", I asked sarcastically.

"Well, don't mock me, Miss Harper. He was being a prick and I had to show him his place"

"All he did was ask me who you were", I stated.

"Well, he shouldn't have", Daniel said angrily. Then he realised what he said and we both laughed.

"Why are you really here?", I asked.

"Would you like to accompany me to the Axis Welfare Annual Galla?", He looked straight at me.

"Why me?", I asked.

"Because--", He said and then paused. "My Grandmother wants to meet you"