1 : The Big Oak Tree

~~Diego's POV ~~

"You won the case! Congratulations Diego!"

I put my hands into my jacket pockets and walked past the clicks of cameras and the unfathomable voices of journalists. I jogged towards my BMW and raised my hand, gesturing the driver to pass me the keys. He threw them over to me and I quickly opened the car door. "Take a day off, see you tomorrow!" With that, I sped off the car park and into the roads.

The road seemed unusually empty, but I enjoyed the peace from noisy cars and pollution and drove past the familiar cherry trees that released a few pink blossoms, After a few stops and turns, I turned into the familiar driveway and stopped at the wooden gates where the old slab of marble with PALADINO engraved in it. I drove the car into the driveway in front of the big entrance.

It was a large manor and yet I felt so alone.

I walked into the house and past the kitchen doors. The cook, stopped his usual chopping business and turned to me. "I heard you won the murder case. It was on the television." I nodded at him, I didn't really care because I do this sort of thing all the time, no big deal.

I went over to the little latch and pulled to reveal a small winding staircase that led to my family's famous wine cellar. Just once or twice a year, I try to remember the taste.

I grabbed a brand new bottle of merlot and went my way to the back garden. I felt as if everything moved in slow motion as I grabbed a wine glass from the marble counter and stepped on to the fresh green grass. The big oak tree from 1858, a family's favorite, released sweet smelling bright pink blossoms upon me. I looked at the bark and touched the engraving, the engraving of my favorite name with the haunting dates below it.

DELILAH PALADINO

1994 - 2016

________________________________________________________

Hey readers,

How do you guys like the first chapter. It's more of a short beginning of the present but from now on it will all make sense. It's supposed to be short! Also I will be changing POV's to show you guys the story from different angles but only enough angles so that I don't reveal the secrets and too many thoughts from each character's POV's.

So what do you guys think? Who is this person whose engraving is on the tree?

Please vote and comment!!

~Imperfect Perfectionist~

________________________________________________________