3 : Summer Funk Party

~~ Delilah's POV~~

I dreaded that day, that day that had just brought me down from my tower of dignity, down to the cold, merciless ground below. I went over to Theo's office and he waited at the entrance. He ran towards me, maybe for a greeting, holding the something behind his back.

He sighed. "Thank you, Delilah, for coming." He was quiet for a while raising some awkward tension till his face lit up, remembering something. "Before I forget..." he pulled out a brown onesie costume, with a large smiling bear head with glassy eyes. "Quickly, quickly, you're gonna be late!"

I really had a feeling they were roses or something even though I found them so cliché.

Theo walked me upstairs while I struggled to fit into that furry onesie. We passed the frosted doors that had bronze plates engraved with unfamiliar names, obviously. So, I put on my bear head and adjusted the eyes to fit mine, which were small and squinty, even with the glasses.

The day went so slowly, it was like watching a slow motion picture. It was pretty fulfilling, despite that, because the smile on those children's faces and their claps after my little dance made me feel like someone important. Finally, I had handed them multicolored helium balloons to each of them, and waved my paw to encourage the a little more before leaving.

The tap-tap of three pairs of heels that closed upon me made me feel a little uneasy, so even in that silly bear costume, I looked down at my feet (more like claws).

Sharp manicured nails tapped my shoulder. "Oh, poor Delilah! What did Theo do to make you publicly embarrass yourself even more than you already do! Did he promise a hug? A kiss? Or maybe holding hands was just enough for you!"

The other girls laughed in agreement while I kept my mouth shut and rolled my eyes at the petty comments.  Another girl, I think her name was Arya, tapped me on the other shoulder. "The office enjoyed a little laugh, when you sent an anonymous card to him on Valentine's Day." Everyone laughed again and I just couldn't take the embarrassment anymore.

I ran. Ran and ran and ran over to the lifts even with the heavy onesie that dragged on my body. I repeatedly pressed the buttons and lifted of the head when the soft ding of the elevator sounded. I stood in the corner and passed for the G button. I grabbed the cold metal handles and sobbed over my feelings and how painful it is to keep it in. I wasn't crying because of those girls, I was crying because of my helpless (more like hopeless) crush on Theo. I recalled those memories when I lovingly wrote the silly DIY card and handed it to him, and let those cold salty tears roll down my red cheeks.

Then the ding came to just the 4th floor. I hurriedly put my bear head back on to hide my tears and turned just held my 'paws' together when the person I least expected stepped into the elevator.

My neighbor.

He held up a piece of paper, the library membership form, which some cursive writing read "Diego Paladino." So let's take this again...

Then the ding came to just the 4th floor. I hurriedly put my bear head back on to hide my tears and turned just held my 'paws' together when the person I least expected stepped into the elevator.

Diego...

Yes, that's sounds like the dramatic feeling I had felt, this was just too much of a weird coincidence. I just stood like a dummy and waited. I just felt so awkward when he looked at me and knitted his brows in confusion, but I could easily see that he was stifling a laugh.