4 : Embarrasment

~~ Diego's POV ~~

I had finally got that library membership that I had been desperately waiting for ever since I got out of jail. The library is the only real place I can really connect to. The book, that girl, her father calls Delilah, gave me, was just amazing. I always appreciate a young reader which is so rare to find. The fact that I could borrow books anytime I wanted to gives me a chance to see her again after that little fiasco we had in the elevator. I don't think she liked it, even though I found it simply hilarious. 

I went back to the library and handed in the book as well as the little card. "Hi." I said but she just ignored me and stamped the card without noticing which left me disappointed. This went on, borrowing books and then returning them a week later.

"Delilah, listen to me..." I tried to tell her to throw away those magazines because I really didn't want to see that Rosy, my ex, anywhere or anymore.

"Save it." She raised her hand and continued typing on her computer. Was she interested or not? God, girls are so confusing.

I had to leave it at that then. So after that I realized to let it go so I decided not to attend the library and just work my daily exercise till I met her again that fateful morning. 

It was fate.

I knew it in my heart. Call it intuition but I was right.

***

~~ Delilah's POV~~

"A three-month waiting list?!" I repeated as I held the phone tightly to my ear. "Thank you." And I banged the phone to the receiver and sighed.

Ma and Dad had already left for Vienna for their annual getaway, leaving me and Adeline here to deal with the meeting with Nick's suggestion. No matter how hard I tried, he kept on repeating, "If it goes your way, it's good and if it doesn't, it's even better because it's God's will and decision."

Arranged marriage was apparently God's will?

I put on my white linen shawl while Adeline helped to do my hair. I had to make myself look presentable for them because otherwise she would be upset, and I love my sister. Plus, she knew the tricks of the trade.

Suddenly, the bell rang telling us to get ready faster.

"I'll get it!" Adeline squealed. The next thing I know is the shuffling of feet and common laughter between my sister, her boyfriend and his 'suggestion.' I felt so excluded from this family because I have to marry someone I barely know and Adeline gets to be with the literal man of her dreams.

I dreaded the moment when she said, "I'll go get her, she's been very excited to meet you!"

Just five minutes later, we were all talking like old friends.

Correction : THEY were all talking like old friends.

I just didn't know what to make of this. They were talking about wedding scenes and they wanted to pick white flowers against yellow. What happened to talks of Shakespeare and whether Macbeth was dominated by his wife. I opened my mouth but no words seemed to form so I just shut it and looked down at my feet. Socializing was never my thing.