2 : Criminal Neighbour

~~Delilah's POV~~

I knelt on the cold marble outside our home. I took the sacred ashes and began dusting onto the floor to create a large flower as I hummed to the tune of the soothing violin tunes since dad was praying to God, probably for my acceptance into the boy's family. I couldn't even have a say in this because I knew, no one really would love me.

Suddenly my mother turned to me. "Delilah, what are you doing here? The boy is coming in half an hour! Get up and get ready, and please look presentable." She hurried me off into my room, where my sister laid out my clothes on the bed.

"Since the boy is coming from the US...why don't I bring some Diet Coke, or something like that?" My mom begged my father.

"You can bring instant food into this house over my dead body." He snapped and he handed my mother fresh banana leaves that he held behind his back. "Serve them the food on these, they will appreciate it. To accept Delilah, they must accept our culture and religion."

"I don't want to wear these earrings, they're too heavy." I whispered to Adeline, my prettier sister.

"I need you to get married, Nick has already proposed and I don't want to keep him waiting. You know how Ma feels about this!" She snapped. "Wear. This."

I really had no choice so I went towards the bathroom and I could hear murmurs between my father, and someone on the phone. I slipped on the silk blue dress that reached that flowed over my knees like a waterfall. As I slipped on my sister's heels, I heard an argument between parents, and I pressed my ear against the crevice of the door.

"The boy cancelled the visit." My dad said, he seemed very upset.

"What? But they wanted to..." My Ma gasped in horror.

"Since the boy is in the US, he liked the first girl they met."

I just sat there speechless, now what? How did they know, whether to like me or not?"

"We don't want to hurt her by coming here. That's what they said." My dad continued as he rolled his eyes. The door cracked and then suddenly opened. My parent glared at me, but more in a sympathetic way. I pushed my glasses upwards along the bridge of my nose and looked at my feet, nails painted in blue, just for this occasion.

"Delilah, go change." My father directed to me. "Pack our lunch, Rose, we will see you in the afternoon."

Ma hurried and put on his wool jacket and gave him the packed lunch, the lunch that had been served fresh, just for today. "But didn't you both take a leave, for today?" My mother said as I stepped out, in my bed hair with a little bit of Chapstick on my lips, staring at the argument between my parents. It wasn't irregular of course, they always had something to say to each other even though they loved each other dearly.

My father turned to her as he grabbed his suitcase. "This is no occasion to take a leave." With that, both of us sped out of the door leaving my sister and mother speechless.

I kept my head low as we headed our way to the lift. I pressed the button, but it didn't seem to be working. Dad pulled my hand away and pressed it continuously and impatiently. "Lift! Lift!" He cursed under his breath and turned around to the staircase. It was definitely no time to get on his bad side.