17: Headache

~~Diego's POV~~

I caught her just in time before she hit the floor.

I touched the blood that dripped from the nose and without hesitation, I carried her to the hospital, ignoring the confused stares of her parents.

As soon as we were in the hospital, poor Delilah was strapped right into a white bed and rushed off by two nurses. I tried keeping up but I stopped when I saw her open her eyes and did something unusual.

She raised her hand and whispered my name.

I couldn't take it anymore. My wife, my newly wedded wife is now in hospital for the third time.

"Be strong," I whispered.

I tapped my foot vigorously against the white tile as the parents sat with Delilah in the ICU. Apparently only family can be let in. I can't tell her ignorant parents what is wrong with her because I'll break down if I hear the word, Meningioma, again.

The nurse told me I could stand behind the glass, the glass that separates us.

So I did.

I looked at her pathetic condition and I could only hear a some murmurs coming out of her throat as she tried to communicate with her parents.

"How's my sister?" She asked.

Her father and her mother who were choked in tears, nodded.

"Isn't my husband more handsome than hers?" She asked as she was looking at me affectionately.

They chuckled and nodded again.

"Don't tell her, though. She'll be very jealous." She continued, laughing in between her tears.

She gestured at me to come inside so I did and stood with my arms crossed in front of her, trying to hold back my tears. Just then, the doctor came in.

He smiled. "Nice to see the whole family here. Congratulations, on your wedding."

Her father chuckled. "Doctor, we still have to give Delilah's reception party. When can she go home? We have to invite our family from all over the country, and her sister, who's in the US, you see? We've to invite her as well. All this takes time.

"How much time do I have left, doctor?" Saru asked immediately. "At least till my henna fades out?" She looked at her trembling hands.

The doctor sighed and shook his head slowly.

The parents looked at Saru and back at me in confusion. Little did they know...

"Excuse me." Said the doctor before he left us.

Her father broke down in tears and so did her mother. They held her hands together while Saru tried to comfort them. Her mother wailed and sobbed.

"I said... I said let's perform her final rites... what kind of father says that for his child?" He choked and rested his head on Saru's lap. "Whether a parent give a blessing or a curse, God fulfills it all... you said that!.... but I didn't listen."