18: Forgiveness

~~Diego's POV~~

Still shaken, I stumbled out of the ICU and pressed the elevator button. I was dizzy. The last moments still wavered around my head...

 I couldn't accept what had just happened. Just then, he came.

I didn't want to face him so I kept my head down. He sighed and looked at me. "I heard you got married." I ignored him.

"Inder... who asks for 2 yards of land to be buried in for their wedding." He kept his hand on my shoulder. "She'll be fine."

I shook my head.

"I couldn't save you once... and that was the biggest mistake of my life. This time, I will save my daughter-in-law! I will use every power-"

"Delilah's no more." I cried. "No more."

He stumbled backwards and covered his face, but I could still hear the faint sounds of sobbing. I touched his arm. "Sir! Sir! .... Dad!"

He looked up in surprise. "Save your tears dad... she's so beautiful... when you see her... that you won't be able to hold back your tears."

I cried as the memories of her holding my hand flashed into my head, one by one.

He held my hand and stammered. "Will you let me meet her? Will you forget my mistakes?"

I shook my head as the memory of Saru's advice reminded me that I have to do this... for her.

"People don't stay together because they forget. People stay together because they forgive." I repeated, what she said...

He sobbed and hugged me. The warmth of the hug was so familiar but the memories were not clear. I hugged him back as I cried over his shoulder.

***

I went over to the little latch and pulled to reveal a small winding staircase that led to my family's famous wine cellar. Just once or twice a year, I try to remember the taste.

I grabbed a brand new bottle of merlot and went my way to the back garden. I felt as if everything moved in slow motion as I grabbed a wine glass from the marble counter and stepped on to the fresh green grass. The big oak tree from 1858, a family's favorite, released sweet smelling bright pink blossoms upon me. I looked at the bark and touched the engraving, the engraving of my favorite name with the haunting dates below it.

DELILAH PALADINO

1994 - 2016

I looked at the tree, and I was reminded of the sweet sweet memories we had together. She died honorably. She made me realize about love and forgiveness. Delilah was irreplaceable.

I laughed and talked to the oak tree. "So, are you happy with your husband's achievements?" I opened the bottle and poured in two glasses of wine. I placed one on the ground as I recalled all the moments that I sent with her, to keep her alive in my heart. As alive as her laugh... Her tears...

"Let's celebrate! Cheers!" I held up the glass to her and I didn't feel alone. I felt as if she was right there in front of me. "I miss you. I do... everyday."

All this was meant to be. My life was another love story.

But this love story was sealed with a curse.