14: Henna

~~Delilah's POV~~

After reading that last message, I frantically pulled out my phone and called Inder. I sat there nervously waiting for him to answer but it went straight to voicemail. I didn't give up, so I tried again, and it happened again.

I needed to tell him the truth.

I dropped my phone on the floor helplessly and exhaled loudly. I took the scattered cards and slowly read them one by one, wondering why the 'ignorant me' couldn't notice the small secret messages.

I got up and went over to the balcony, hoping for Diego to burst into the doors like he always did when I was alone.

But he didn't.

~~Diego's POV~~

I was still running away from the angry policemen in the jeep with my hands grating against the sharp metal of the handcuffs but I didn't care, I just ran to get to the hospital's number.

Luckily, there were  low balconies on the apartment block so I jumped on each railing, one by one, till I landed, rolling on the hard cement of the rooftop. I skipped away from the beer bottles and grabbed my phone and saw 2 missed calls from Delilah.

And by that I knew she was discharged and that she went to the library, she never cared about her disease, she just wanted to finish what she started, and that was just one thing what I loved about her.

I picked up my phone and dialed her number. 

No answer.

I huffed. "Now what?" I whispered.

"You tell me." Said the voice. I turned around in shock to see the inspector with crossed hands, his eyes fiery with anger. I looked at him and opened my mouth to say something.

I hesistated. "Please sir, take me to the library. I need to go get her." I looked at his unemotional expression. "I need to go to her and tell her that-"

"To tell her what? Sorry or I love you?" He chuckled mockingly me and tapped me on my shoulder as I stared at him with mixed feelings of gratefulness and confusion.

The inspector looked at his watch and sighed. "Hurry."

I nodded and followed him to the jeep and sat in the front while the inspector drove me as fast as he could to the library while his assistant stared at me from the backseat making me uncomfortable. I got down at the library and ran, catching the last words of the inspector.

"He's on a 10 minute parole. After that he goes back in again and his time starts now."

I ran inside the library and looked around nervously. I ran upstairs, level by level till I heard some sobs and a couple of familiar book scattered. I peeked through the shelf and breathed a sigh of relief when I saw Saru there.

I walked up to her. "Sorry, Delilah. I am late."

I knitted my brows when I saw her crying uncontrollably. "Why are you crying? Are you okay?"

She continued sobbing.

"No... you're not fine. Let's go to the hospital. Come on." She stood her ground but I persuaded her to walk with me down the steps. "Right now. Come. You didn't tell me that you've been discharged."