Chapter 7 | The Tears

~~~~~~~~Joel's P.O.V~~~~~~~~
We get inside Lizzie's dorm and we sit on Lizzie's couch. If we're going to date, I have to tell her this. I NEED to tell her now. "L-Lizzie? I need to-" I pause. "Joel? What is it?" I hear faintly. I groan, while reaching for my chest. "Joel!? Are you okay!?" I fall onto the floor. "L-Lizz-" my eyes close.
~~~~~~~~Lizzie's P.O.V~~~~~~~~
Joel falls onto the floor. "L-Lizz-" I need to call 911. I reach in my pockets for my phone, kneeling on the floor. "Ugh where is it!?" I look on the couch. There it is. I dial 9-1-1. They pick up and I tell them what happened.
//le time skip of a few hours//
It's been a few hours since we came to the hospital, and Joel hasn't woken up yet... I'm getting worried... I get up, walk over to the desk and ask to see him. "What's your name?" The lady says rudely. "Dwyer, Elizabeth Dwyer." I reply. "Are you a relative?" I think about if I should lie or not. "Yes.. His cousin?" I say worried. "Room 284." I rush to the room and barge in. Joel is laying there on the bed. He's extremely pale... "Jo-joel? Please wake up." I sit in the bed with him. I rub his shoulder. "Please wake up." The doctor comes in. "Miss, may I see you outside?" She peeks through the door. "You may. What for?" I walk closer to her. "We need to talk about-" He gets interrupted by heavy breathing. I turn around and hope that it's Joel. I walk over to the bed. "Joel! You're awake! I've been so worried!" I kiss him on the cheek as he sits up. "I missed you so much!" The doctor rushes over. "Oh no, this isn't good. Miss, you need to leave the room right now." She says, with a serious expression. "Wh-why? What's going on!?" I say extremely worried. "Miss, please, I don't want you to get hurt. Leave the room and tell the person at the desk 'room 284 needs backup doctors, right now' . Go!" She says. I rush out and go to the desk and I say "room 284 needs backup doctors now!" She gets up and hurries to page more doctors for room 284. I sit in one of the waiting chairs while she writes a not really fast and puts it on her desk. She hurries to the room.
//le time skip a few hours//
It's been like 3 hours since the doctor told me to leave... I'm getting scared now... I call Annie and Sasha to see if they can come. I sit there. "What's going on in there..?" I think to myself. I sit there and I curl up into a ball on the chair. I put my head on top of my knees. I start tearing up. I hear ther door open and someone comes rushing over. It was Sasha. "Lizzie?! Are you okay?! I know you're hurting! I'm sorry for what happened." I look at her and hug her. Now I'm sobbing. "I'm sorry... It will be fine... Annie said she's on her way, there's just some traffic." I let go of her to see doctors rushing to the desk. One of the guys looked like the doctor in Joel's room. I go over to him. "Please! Tell me what's happening!" I say, scared and crying. "I'm afraid Joel... He may not survive... We have to do surgery on him... Heart- surgery." I collapse onto the group and start sobbing really hard. Sasha rushes over. "Lizzie!? What happened!!?? Are you fine!?" I shake my head softly. "Sasha... Jo-Joel needs surgery... It's not okay!" I'm still sobbing on the ground while the doctors are there. I crawl into a corner close by and I start balling my eyes out. I think of all the good times Joel and I had together... My cry turns into a light sob. I get up and I walk over to the doctor. "Please, can you tell me what's happening to him!? Can I see him one last time!?" I start tearing while I say that. It hurts to say it. It hurts a lot. "I'm afraid you can't."