Chapter 10

Mr. Davenport and Bree propped Chase up on their makeshift wall and decided to begin analyzing his injuries to make sure they weren't to serious. His wrists and ankles were raw and red, he had some bruises on his stomache, he had a red gash on his head, oozing out blood and a red mark on his cheek.

Mr. Davenport gasped but checked for a pulse, relieved to find that there was one, although his breathing was labored.

"What do we do?" Bree panicked, staring at Chase with concern. She stroked his hair but stopped herself when she began pacing.

"We need to get him home." Mr. Davenport said, gesturing Adam to lift Chase up.

Adam was about to pick Chase up carefully when all of a sudden an enraged and psychotic voice cut through the air. "If I can't get your industries or your house, I will kill your puny son!"

Adam grabbed Chase and they all lept out of the way just as the wall they stood cover over blew up, large chunks of it flying through the air.

The impact from the explosion caused all of them to slam into the self driving Davencar, not too hard but hard enough to hurt.

They all turned in shock to an angered and psychotic Mark, who was grinning and taking deep breaths. "Someone. Will. Die."

"Guys, get in the car." Mr. Davenport hissed, helping Bree up before opening the doors. Bree was the first to get in, then Leo, then Adam and Chase, then Douglas and lastly Mr. Davenport got in the drivers seat and slammed on the gas, the car zooming away from the minefield.

No one had a chance to sigh in relief before Adam looked out the window, causing his eyes to widen. "Um, guys?"

Everyone turned to what Adam was referring to and they all gasped. Mark was driving a black van and he was gaining, the look on his face murderous.

"Someone. Will. Die!" He repeated, laughing like a maniac.

Bree shivered, a cold feeling spread down her back. Why was this guy so hung up on killing Chase? Was it simply to murder someone?

Bree was barely able to keep her lunch in her stomach as Mr. Davenport made sharp turns, swerving.

"What's going on back there?" He yelled, his eyes glued to the road ahead.

"Don't worry 'bout that Donny." Douglas replied, constantly looking behind them. "Just worry about speeding up."

Bree's heart raced in her chest as she began breathing heavily. After coming this far to save Chase, they might end up loosing him. Don't think like that! She snapped at herself. She really needed them to go straight home, to their safe environment, to a cup of hot chocolate while they curled up on the sofa and watched a movie. Not this death ride!

Adam felt shocked, worried and upset all at the same time, his nerves making him tense. He wished Mark and Luke would just leave them alone, so they could all go home. He just wanted his little brother back, the guy who'd never risk his family's lives ahead of him, the guy who withstood Adam's constant jokes and throwings. He just wanted Chase back.

Mr. Davenport's mind was filled with questions. What's going on? Is Chase okay? Are they almost home? Are Mark and Luke chasing them? Will they be safe? As much as he wanted to look back to make sure everyone was safe, he kept his vision on the road ahead of him. He needed to get them home, and fast. Whatever's happening back there doesn't seem good.

Douglas's lungs hurt with every breath he took, but he tried not to think about it. All he could think about was Chase and if he'd be okay. He never ever thought about anyone of their family dying, especially not Chase. He always preferred Chase, as he felt they had a better connection. He was not ready to loose his son, not yet.

Leo could barely process anything. All he focused on was making sure Mark and Luke stayed as far away from them as possible. Unfortunately, they were speeding up, and if they went any faster, they'd probably get run over, not like Mark would care.

Leo heard something hit the back of the car and when he saw what it was, he immediately unbucked his seatbelt, and did the same for Adam and Bree.

"What are you doing?" Bree demanded, not noticing the item attached to the back of the car.

"Big D we need to get out of the car!" Leo yelled, sweating.

"Leo, what's going on?" Douglas asked.

"They threw a sticky bomb!" Leo yelled. "I've played enough video games to recognize it! It's gonna blow up any minute!"

Mr. Davenport nodded.

Leo turned and saw Mark holding a remote, his finger hovering over the button. Leo's heart stopped.

"Guys, jump now!" Leo screamed.

Everyone opened their door and flew out of the car, as the car swerved to the side. They all landed on a grassy area and they all sat up, watching as Mark pressed the button.

Everything after this happened in slow motion. The car exploded in a rainstorm of fire and ashes as the cars rear blew up, parts of the car flying off.

"Wait." Adam noticed, looking around. Then he said the two words that made everyone's heart stop.

"Where's Chase?"