Chapter 15

Mr. Davenport was in a state of shock for the whole day. He stayed at the hospital, hoping for his son to be okay. It didn't look good after he witnessed his son flatline. It was his worst nightmare.

He simply sat in a chair in the waiting room and waited, barely aware of the people around him. His mind didn't wrap around anything, and he refused to believe Chase was dead.

"Guys?" Bree whispered to Adam and Douglas (Leo was in the bathroom). "What do we do about Mr. Davenport?"

They all turned to the still man staring into space, a look of dread on his face as he stayed completely still.

Douglas shrugged. He then lowered his voice. "Donny's in shock. He doesn't want to believe that Chase..." He cleared his throat. "That's normal. But since this is his first time, it's gonnna take a long time before he snaps out of it."

Bree and Adam nodded, looking back at their father with hope and sadness. They really needed him right now, but they knew that he needed them more.

Bree smiled at Douglas and gave him her phone. He looked confused. "What do I use this for?"

She sighed. "Call Tasha. Tell her to come to the hospital and tell her Chase is..." Her voice got caught in her throat. She just smiled and gestured to a hallway in the hospital. He groaned but left, dialling her number.

"How does he know Tasha's number-" Adam started.

"Don't ask." Bree replied, looking at Douglas in a weird way. "He's... creepy. That's how." She took a deep breath and nodded to Adam. "C'mon."

They both walked up to Mr. Davenport, who didn't acknowledge their presence at all. He stayed perfectly still. Bree sat down next to him and interlocked her arm in his, earning a small squeeze from him.

Bree layed her head on Mr. Davenport's shoulder, who layed his head on top of her's in response. Bree smiled.

She turned her lips to his ear. "Mr. Davenport?" She whispered.

He turned to look at her. "Yes?"

She smiled. "Nothing."

He smiled and closed his eyes, squeezing Bree's  arm before his peaceful snores escaped his mouth. Bree smiled and snuggled into his arm, giving Adam a thumbs up before drifting off to sleep herself.

Adam walked over to Douglas, who was holding the phone away from his ear and grimancing. Adam was confused until he got closer and heard Tasha's loud crying through the phone.

"B-bye." Douglas said quietly before hanging up, relief washing over his face. He put a hand on Adam's shoulder. "I owe you one son."

Adam smiled, and turned just as he saw Leo walking back in from the washroom. He walked up to them and the closer he got, the more Adam knew Leo's eyes were red and puffy from crying. He didn't blame him.

"Hey guys." Leo said confidently, sniffling. He put his hands on his hips to play it cool. It wasn't working that well though.

"Hey kid." Douglas said, patting Leo on the shoulder. "I called Tasha." He winced remembering the call. "She's on her way and she'll be here soon."

Leo nodded but was interruped by Tasha bursting through the doors, a grief-stricken face.

"Seriously though, why can't they walk in like normal people?" The same nurse from before said, shaking her head.

Leo ran to his mom and they both hugged, crying into each other. Leo looked really upset but not as upset as Tasha. She looked straight up depressed, almost like Mr. Davenport.

They walked over to where Bree and Mr. Davenport were sleeping and they sat next to the two, who were awake now and began talking to Leo and Tasha.

A nurse waved at Douglas who gave Adam a confused look before jogging over to her, and by the expression on his face, it was shocking but happy news.

He ran back over to Adam who was waiting and waiting for Douglas to spill, who didn't look like he wanted to.

Adam's patience ran out. "What did she say?!" He blurted, his expression excitement.

"Chase-Chase will be okay." Douglas paused, taking a deep breath. "But he no longer has bionics."