Chapter 16

"What do you mean he no longer has bionics?" Adam asked, taking a deep breath.

"Well, in order to save Chase, they had to remove every trace of bionics from him. He's now just another... another human." Douglas sighed, sitting down, putting his head in his hands. "All that technology, gone!"

Adam's mind was still comprehending everything, the gears in his head turning. He couldn't believe it. Chase didn't have bionics anymore? He's no longer the bionic hero he used to be? He's still a hero to Adam though...

"Wait, so he's no longer bionic?" Adam asked, his voice wavering.

Douglas nodded, still looking down. He kept muttering things about brilliant technology being wasted, and other things.

Adam's head spun, and he couldn't fully wrap hos mind about it. "How will we tell Mr. Davenport and Bree?" He blurted.

"Tell Mr. Davenport and Bree what?" Bree asked, suddenly behind Adam. He turned, in surprise and exhaled sharply, glaring at Bree. "You scared me."

She laughed weakly. Then her face turned serious. "So, what were you gonna tell us?"

Adam took a deep breath, looking at his trembling hands. He knew Mr. Davenport wouldn't take it well. He shook the thoughts out of his head and spoke. "Chase is going to live."

Mr. Davenport and Bree's faces lit up with happiness, as they hugged each other tightly, shedding tears of joy. They were so happy, Adam wished he didn't have to say more.

"But." He continued, his expression grim. That caught Bree and Mr. Davenport's attention, and they looked at him curiously. "He doesn't have bionics anymore."

Their faces fell, and Adam could see the gears in their head spinning. Bree spoke up. "But, but how?"

"They had to remove every single bit of bionics from his system to save him." Douglas spoke up, shaking his head. "I just can't believe they'd waste all that genious technology!"

He went back to sulking in his chair, leaving Mr. Davenport and Bree shell-shocked, barely moving.

"I-" Adam didn't know what to say. He just then noticed that Tasha and Leo were listening in, and they both had their mouths hung agape in shock.

The nurse walked up to them. "He is awake now, but we haven't told him that he's no longer bionic yet. You may go visit him now. Room-"

"113B yeah, yeah." Mr. Davenport interrupted, his face a mix of sadness and joy, both for different reasons. Holding Bree's hand, he walked to the elevator, practically dragging her.

The nurse scoffed at Mr. Davenport before sauntering away.

Leo stared at Adam with wide eyes. "Is-is it true?"

Adam nodded grimly, his emotions confusing him. He felt sad, happy, relieved, upset, but most of all, guilty. Guilty for yelling at him in the forst place, causing this whole mess.

"Let's go visit him."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The elevator ride was awkward and silent, and neither Bree nor Mr. Davenport said a word. Both of them were still reeling from what they heard, and it was hard to cope.

"What's gonna happen Mr. Davenport?" Bree asked as they stepped off the elevator. "We can't go on missions without our Mission Leader."

Mr. Davenport nodded, letting go of Bree's hand as they got closer to Chase's room. He shrugged. "I don't know. Let's just focus on telling him first."

Bree nodded, both of them dreading telling Chase. Intelligence was his thing. He felt like nothing without it. What would he do? How would he react?

They opened the door to see Chase, awake and smiling. As he saw Bree and Mr. Davenport, his smile grew wider.

"Chase!" Bree said, running up to hug him.

He hissed in pain as she touched his burns. She saw his pain so she immediately let go, smiling. A tear slid down her cheek. "I am so sorry! I-I missed you so much, Chase!"

"Don't apologize." Chase reassured, smiling. "What's done is done. No need to worry."

"Actually there is." Bree muttered, expecting Chase to hear her with his bionic hearing, before she remembered, and looked at him, who looked confused. "What?"

"Oh, nothing." Bree said with a smile. She felt her insides twist into a knot. She hated lying to Chase. And she knew she would not be able to tell him his bionics were gone.

She tapped her foot on the floor and saw Mr. Davenport begin to tell Chase when the door opened and Leo, Tasha and Adam ran in, panting but smiling.

"Chasey!" Adam said, giving Chase a gentle hug, making sure to avoid his burns. Chase smiled.

"Hi sweetie." Tasha said, holding Chase's hand. A tear of joy rolled down her cheek and she wiped it smiling.

"Hey buddy." Leo said, smiling. "Missed ya."

Chase smiled. "It's so nice to see you guys. I really missed you." He smiled wider and blushed. "Thanks for coming for me."

"No problem Chase." Mr. Davenport said, gesturing everyone back as he cleared his throat. "Listen, Chase. There's something we need to tell you." Chase smiled. Mr. Davenport took a deep breath. "In order to... save you, the doctors had to-well they had to... get rid of all your bionics. I'm sorry but you're no longer bionic."

Chase looked crushed. His face looked confused and upset, and he was telling himself it wasn't true. He paused. "You-you can make me another chip, right?"

"I'm afraid a chip won't get you your bionics back." Mr. Davenport said with a sad smile.

"I'm sorry."