Chapter 17

Chase didn't take the news too well. After they were able to check out of the hospital and drive back to the academy, Chase was silent, and his expression was sad and confused. He was bionic, that was who he was. He never lived his life not being bionic. And now that the scary truth hit him, he barely was able to think let alone speak.

Bree sighed, turning to Mr. Davenport. She was in the front seat with him and Adam, Chase and Leo were in the back. Tasha drove herself and Douglas back to their house in Mission Creek because Diuglas wanted to use the lab to do further research on Chase.

"I'm really worried about Chase." Bree whispered softly to Mr. Davenport, making sure Chase wasn't paying attention. "He's really sad."

"Well, he will be like this for a while." Mr. Davenport whispered back, his eyes glued to the road. "His bionics defined him, that's all he ever knew of himself. Now that that was taken away from him, he needs time to find himself."

Bree nodded looking back at Chase. He was sitting next to the window on the right and he was looking out the window, his eyes scanning the sky. She turned back around and was silent for the rest of the car ride.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When the hydroloop doors opened, Bree smiled when she saw the students all bustling around, practicing their bionics and just having a good vacation.

Bob came running over to Bree and hugged her, closing his eyes. "I missed you Breezy!"

Bree sighed, but decided to cut the guy some slack. She hugged back, smiling. "I missed you too Bob."

He let go and ran back to his room, yelling "BREE SAID SHE MISSED ME! SHE SAID SHE MISSED ME!" And with a wide grin, his face lighting up.

Bree laughed and turned around. Mr. Davenport, Adam and Leo were standing beside her but Chase wasn't there. She guessed he went back to the Mentors Quarters to think.

"I'm going to the Mentors Quarters." Bree said, superspeeding there. Halfway there she stopped, deciding to walk so Chase didn't see her using her bionics, so she didn't rub salt in the wound.

She walked through the doorway and saw Chase staring at his capsule, well glaring at his capsule.

"Hey." Bree said, walking up to him.

"Hey." He replied, turning to her with a fake smile. He walked over to the couch and sat down, his eyes lacking his once bright happiness.

"Are you okay?" Bree asked, sitting next to him.

"Yeah. I'm doing better." He replied honestly. "I'm just... thinking. I mean, it was a huge shock to me at first but I'll live."

Suddenly, red alarms flashed and alarms blared, which made Bree and Chase jump, watching as Mr. Davenport turned them off and pulled up a map of the tv.

"There's a Water Tower collapsing in a small town near Mission Creek. Bree, Adam, Ch-" he stopped himself and cleared his throat. "I'll need you two to stop the tower from collapsing on the town."

Bree and Adam nodded, suiting up. Bree stopped herself before she left and looked at Chase, smiling. "You sure you'll be okay?"

He nodded. "Yes. I'm fine. Go, save those people."

Bree smiled and grabbed Adam's arm, superspeeding to the town.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chase did feel a stab to his heart when the Mission Alert came up, and he wasn't able to go. Now that he wasn't Mission Leader, who was he?

He slumped into the couch and sighed, holding his head in his hands. When he told Bree he was fine, he was lying.

He was hurting.