Chapter One: False Alarm

Photo: Amanda Paine

Alice's POV

I approached the table, inexplicably drawn to the necklace by some foreign force. Against my will, I found myself reaching for it, and I tried to stop myself. Mandy looked over and saw what I was doing. Her face paled.

"Don't touch that, Alice!" exclaimed Mandy, rushing over to stop me from doing just that.

But it didn't work.

My fingers reached out, and I snagged the necklace with my index finger, holding it up to the light so I could inspect it.

It truly was a work of art. On a black cord sat the mesmerizingly beautiful, hour glass shaped sapphire, sparkling in the late afternoon sun. Entranced, I slid it on over my head just as Mandy reached over and grabbed my wrist. She was too late. It was already on. And nothing happened.

"Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?" Mandy was confused. Her mother had told her to be careful with the necklace, for when someone put it on, apparently terrifying things happened.

"Why were you so panicked about me wearing this necklace, Mandy?" I inquired, genuinely curious.

"Umm... It's nothing."

A Couple Minutes Later (5:00 pm)

"Soo, what do you say we watch some 1776 now?" Mandy asked me, and I perked up immediate-Lee. She grinned as I nodded my head enthusiastically, and we made our way back into Mandy's bedroom, where a tv was situated on a small coffee table.

Mandy hummed to herself as she worked on getting the movie set up, and I decided to check my text messages. I had one new one from my mom.

Mom: I want you home for dinner tonight. A very special guest is coming over. ;)

I groaned, and I showed the text to Mandy.

Mom: Amanda can come too if she wants. I think she will enjoy meeting this guest.

Swiping my phone away from Mandy, who jumped up and down with glee, I responded to my mom.

Me: Sounds gr8. Did u confirm that it was ok for Mandy to come over?

Mom: Yep. Will b over in 5.

Me: Kk.

Tonight was going to be interesting, to put it lightly. I could just tell.