Chapter Thirty-Six: Music and Assistance

Ali's POV

The day after mine and George's wedding, I was in the kitchen, humming to myself while I read. George himself was busy with paperwork, which had not stopped even though the war was over. The Continental Congress was busy revising Benjamin Franklin's proposed Articles of Confederation, a very long and hefty process that took a long time. I knew that this would take at least a few years at the very least, if my knowledge earned from hours upon hours sitting in the History classroom proved correct.

"Mrs. Washington, Mr. Jefferson left his violin here. What do you wish me to do with it?" William interrupted my thoughts, holding up a black violin case. I grinned evilly, as a thought formed in my head.

"Thank you for bringing this to my attention, William. I shall take care of the matter. You are dismissed." I told him, and he nodded, scurrying off to complete more chores.

Fighting my strong impulse to touch the case, I scrutinized it with my gaze, debating whether or not I should play it. I'm sure Mr. Jefferson wouldn't mind, I thought, shrugging. Eventually, I decided to play a couple songs on it, just to see how it went. I was curious to see how it sounded.

Testing the strings, I made sure that they were in tune. Luckily, they were. Less work for me, I thought.

I played a few notes cautiously, old memories of orchestra classes now far away in the past rushing back as I remembered how to do it. A grin slowly spread across my face, and I played a few songs I had memorized.

Benjamin Franklin and John Adams were upstairs with my husband too, for they were having a meeting about the Articles of Confederation.

I totally had forgotten this, until...

Washington's POV

"God damn it!" John stood up angrily, slamming his fist on the table. "Why can't the rest of Congress just agree on a solution already?"

I put my head in my hands, rubbing my forehead. "I don't know, John. I just don't know."

"Hey, what's that sound?" John suddenly said, standing up quickly. The sound of a bow on strings filled the air suddenly, and I stiffened, straining my ears in an attempt to place the source of that sound. I realized it was a violin.

But who was playing the violin?

"It must be Ali." I finally deducted, after realizing that nobody else knew how to play the violin. And I had seen the memories of some of her concerts. Damn, she was good.

"Ali? Are you sure?" Franklin asked, looking at me quizzically.

"One hundred and one percent sure, Doctor." I assuaged his doubt, standing up and patting him on his shoulder. "Come. I must talk with Alice."

"Alright, good sir. I shall accompany you, if you do not mind. I wish to offer my compliments to Alice as well." Benjamin told me, and I nodded, walking quickly down the staircase with him close behind.

We sat down at the table, careful not to make a sound. Ali finished the song, moving the violin off of her shoulder and tucking it under her arm as she brushed some of her hair behind her ear. She turned around, and noticed me, John and Benjamin sitting at the table, watching her with interest.

"George? Mr. Adams? Doctor Franklin? Not to be rude, but what are you doing here?" Ali stammered quickly, blushing furiously as she met my eyes, glancing away.

"That was some beautiful playing you just did, Mrs. Washington." Benjamin commented, and she looked down. "I have heard Mr. Jefferson play, and he is very good, but you might even be better!"

"First of all, call me Alice. Secondly, while I appreciate your compliment, I do not believe myself to be better than Mr. Jefferson. He has much more experience in the field of music than I."

"Rubbish!" I exclaimed, and Ali looked at me in confusion. "You are just as talented as he is, if not more. Remember that."

"If you say so. Just this once, I'll believe you, George. Now, tell me all about these 'Articles of Confederation."

Lin's POV

"Damn it! That Aaron Burr drives me crazy!"

I winced as Alexander slammed the door to the house, storming in angrily. Eliza came up to him, giving him a kiss on his cheek as she took his hat and jacket. He told her thanks, and walked over to the couch I was sitting on, joining me.

"What's wrong, Alex?" I asked him, as I leaned back on the couch.

"I asked Aaron to help me with the federalist papers I have been planning to write- you know, the anonymously-written papers that defend the constitution?- and he refused, so now I am a helper short." He groaned, and I patted his shoulder sympathetically.

"Well, I can be of assistance if you wish me to help." I offered, grinning. He looked up, curious.

"That is not that bad an idea. Lin, will you help me write the Federalist Papers? I could use some assistance."

"It would be my honor. Mr. Hamilton."