Chapter 9: A Winter's Ball, Part I

*Pic: Mandy and Alice in their dresses*

Alice's POV

George met me by the tent at 7:00 sharp, just as he said he would. Mandy and Ben were already there, looking as elegant as ever in their formal attire.

"Greetings, Your Excellency. Thank you for escorting me tonight." I said sincerely, curtsying to him. He smiled as he took my hand and kissed it.

Squealing internally, me, Ben, and Mandy followed him to the entrance of the camp, where a carriage was waiting to take us to the place the ball was going to be held.

Apparently it was going to be held at the house of John Adams, who lived in Boston. He was taking a break from his congressional duties and visiting his wife and children. So, when some of the officers were looking for a place to hold the ball at, he offered his residence, for he had a grand room inside that was the perfect ballroom. (A/N: I know this is historically inaccurate, but what part of this fanfic isn't?)

Excitedly, I hopped into the carriage, picking up the skirt of my dress as I did so. I WAS GOING TO MEET JOHN FREAKING ADAMS!

Also in the carriage with us, the quartet, were Alexander Hamilton, who was escorting Eliza Schuyler. Lin was there too, escorting his wife Vanessa who had somehow arrived in the eighteenth century by means we were not privy to. All in all, it was a pretty rowdy carriage.

George was teasing Ben about something interesting; Being the gossip queen that I was, I decided to listen in.

"....so, Ben, have you decided where you are going to hold the wedding ceremony yet?" George smirked at his officer, who blushed and looked at Mandy, who was looking at him. They looked away from each other when they noticed the other had seen them.

"Umm," he stated eloquently, "we have not decided yet."

"How about if I leave you and Amanda alone tonight and see what state you are in tomorrow morning?" Laughed George. I grinned; seeing the normally stoic and intimidating General all happy and bubbly like this warmed my heart. Also, that innuendo was GOALS.

"Umm... VERY FUNNY, Your Excellency." Ben stuttered, wringing his hands. "I wouldn't do anything like THAT. Not yet anyway, if you get what I mean."

Grinning like John Simcoe (in other words: like a maniac), Ben turned to the General. "So, Georgie, ("Don't call me that!") when are you planning on marrying Alice? Invite me to the wedding!"

"OH SNAP!" I said, snapping my fingers. "Looks like my escort just got ROASTED!"

George nudged me playfully, his face red as the whole carriage busted out laughing, especially Hamilton.

"Your Excellency, looks like you've got yourself a feisty one!" Alex commented idly, straightening his jacket.

"She is quite feisty" George chuckled, and Ben leaned over to nudge him on the shoulder, the way a middle school teenager would do to a friend when he/she sees their friend's crush.

Before we knew it, we had arrived at the house of future President John Adams.

Nervously, I watched as the driver made to open the carriage door, and we all stepped out. Hitching up my dress as I walked, I raced to catch up to the rest of the crew.

We walked to the front door, and were immediately greeted by a man, whom I recognized as Adams. His eyes widened when he saw who was leading the pack.

"General Washington and friends! Come in!" Requested Adams, and bade us all come in to his house. Me and Mandy made eye contact as we walked in, and smiled. We had been daydreaming about this moment for years, ever since we first watched 1776 all those months ago.

"General, I don't recognize anyone here. Apart from Mr. Hamilton, of course. Can you please introduce me to everyone?"

"It would be my pleasure. This lovely lady on my arm is Alice Bell, whom I am currently courting at this time. To her right is Major Ben Tallmadge, who is escorting Amanda Paine. Obviously, next to him is Alexander Hamilton, escorting Eliza Schuyler, and that is Lin-Manuel Miranda, escorting his wife Vanessa." George nodded at Adams, who put an arm around the shoulder of his old friend.

"Excellent. An honor to meet you all. Come. Im sure everyone is excited to see you."

We walked into the ballroom, and I was blown away by the sights. All around us, happy couples were dancing the night away, and I recognized many famous faces. Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, Martha Jefferson, Richard Henry Lee, Edward Rutledge, John Dickinson... and Thomas Paine. Among others.

Thomas Paine was actually one of Amanda's ancestors, so I made a mental note to introduce ourselves to him. I already was planning on meeting everyone here. This was going to be the best night of my life!