Chapter Twenty-Nine: Understanding

Washington's POV

As the day passed, I drifted in and out of sleep. During my waking hours, I stressed out about the "memory sharing" that was due to take place that night, and wondered whether Alice was going to come visit.

But she didn't come.

I guess her duties as a Major General kept her from visiting, but it still hurt.

Night fell, and I felt myself growing more and more excited. Finally, I was going to be able to understand more about my fiance than I ever had before!

I drifted off to sleep, my mind still active as it submerged me in the memories of my future wife.

I landed in a room in a modern looking house, smiling when I saw a slightly younger Alice sitting on a couch, a textbook open on her lap. She was chewing on her pencil eraser thoughtfully, mouthing something to herself. Gosh darn it, she looked cute when she did that!

"ALICE! I'm home!"

A male voice reached my ears, and I gasped, recognizing it from a certain ghostly encounter I had a few months ago. It was Senator Bell!

Alice's eyes lit up, the same way they did when she saw me, and pushed the textbook off of her lap, racing toward her father.

"Dad! I didn't know you would be home today!" She exclaimed happily, as he pulled her into a hug.

"President Bush himself told me to take some time off work, rest a little bit. After fighting it a bit, I complied, and came home to be here with you!" He said, gripping her shoulders.

"I'm so glad you're here!" Alice replied, and the two began to exit the room. Shrugging, I followed them.

The scene changed, and I found myself in the same room, a couple years later. Alice and her father sat on the couch together, Alice on his lap.

"Who's that?" Her dad asked, pointing at the screen.

"Oh, that's Benjamin Tallmadge. He's a major in the army and is the head of the Ring." she responded, taking out a little rectangular device I magically knew was called a cell phone and snapping a picture.

No sooner were the words out of her mouth than the door flew open, slamming against the wall. Senator Bell and Alice looked up simultaneously, and Alice gasped when she saw the figure standing in the doorway.

It was a man, clearly. He wore all black, so much so that you could not see an inch of his skin. A smirk was plastered on his masked face, and his hand held a pistol in it. He grinned sadistically as he aimed it at Mr. Bell, and I realized which memory this was.

This was the memory Alice had been dreaming about for the last 2 years.

The memory of her father's death.

"Alice, go. Run. Run away and only come back when I text you saying that it is safe to do so." Mr. Bell commanded his daughter, reaching for the shelf and pulling out a silver knife much like the one Charles Lee had thrown at me today. Alice nodded, and ran out of the room.

However, before she could fully exit, the gun went off. I watched, helpless, as Mr. Bell died right in front of me, having taken a bullet to the heart. Anger filled me as I watched the man stand over my soulmate's father. Overwhelming sadness replaced the anger as I watched Alice run into the room with a shocked expression on her face.

"DAD!" She cried when she noticed the body on the floor, and ran toward it, kneeling. "YOU BASTARD!" She shouted at the man as she stood up again, who just smirked at her.

"He'll never oppose me again." He stared into Alice's eyes, and I noticed her visibly flinch. "Let this serve as a warning. Anyone who dares to oppose me will face my wrath. You have been warned."

Reynolds glanced toward the door, to make sure that they were still alone. While his back was turned, Alice gave the man a very rude gesture. I couldn't contain my laughter. Though, I did want to hug her right then and there and tell her everything was going to be alright, just as I had months ago.

The man turned toward her again, only for Alice to punch him. Hard. In the stomach. He stumbled and ran out the door, only to be met by the police. Alice, meanwhile, fell to the ground in a dead faint, and I did everything in my power not to interfere.

"Hey! Are you new? The name's Amanda Paine. Nice to meet you."

This time, I was in a school hallway, and an Alice that looked more close to the one I knew was leaning against her locker, scrolling on her phone. She looked up at the sound of someone talking to her, and smiled. This must be when she first met Mandy, I thought to myself, grinning inwardly.

"Yeah; I just moved here from Ohio. I'm Alice Bell, by the way. Pleasure to meet you." Alice introduced herself, sticking out her hand. Mandy took it, grasping it firmly as they shook.

"If you ever need anyone to show you around the city, just call me. Want to hang out this weekend and get to know each other a little better?" Mandy asked, shifting the weight of the textbooks in her arms from one arm to another. "Dang, it's like these textbooks are made of bricks or something." She joked, and Alice giggled lightly.

"Sure! Let's hang out Friday night."

I watched as the new friendship developed over time, enjoying the ups and downs of it. Over time, Alice met other friends, whom I took an immense liking to. I wish I could meet them! I watched her first meeting with Lin, and her view of the events leading up to today. It was interesting seeing everything from her point of view.

I woke up, the pain in my arm somehow gone. Gilbert and Alex sat at the foot of my bed, playing a game of cards and talking in hushed voices.

"Morning, Alexander, Marquis."

They jumped, and I laughed. Suddenly, Alice burst into the tent.

""George! Did The Thing happen to you last night?" She asked breathlessly, panting.

I nodded.

"It sure did. By the way, I wish I could meet your friend Abraham. He seems like a really cool guy."