Chapter Five: Interrogations

Washington's POV

"Miss Mandy, can you please explain to me why you say that, and I qoute, 'this is not happening?' What is so terrible that you are refusing to explain what the heck is going on. Who are you? What are you?" I asked of Alice's friend, wishing to solve this problem sooner rather than later. Subconsciously, I ran a hand through my hair, and looked anywhere but at Alice.

The two smiled mysteriously, and Alice responded, "All will be explained when we get to camp."

I nodded. That sounded like a good plan. I mean, what if there were Tory spies lurking in these woods? The idea was not that outlandish, after all, this was a time of war. Anything was possible.

I led them through the maze known as my army's camp, acknowledging Colonel Laurens as I passed him. The sun was rapidly setting above, transforming the sky into a sea of yellows, reds, and purples.

We entered the tent, and I bade them to sit down.

"HAMILTON! TALLMADGE!" I called for two of my favorite officers, Alexander Hamilton and Ben Tallmadge, who had recently been promoted as the Head of Intelligence, to assist me with the interrogation. A minute later, the two men ran in, bringing Lin with them. Lin looked fine, thank Providence; he was conversing enthusiastically with Hamilton about some issue or another. I caught a few words such as Trump, Clinton, Immigration, Wall, and Brexit. If my assumptions about the origins of Lin, Alice, and Amanda were correct, I guessed that Lin was explaining the state of modern day politics.

"Lin! Thank God, someone who understands what I'm trying here to do!" Exclaimed Alice suddenly, grin widening.

Lin smirked. "I'm not here for you," he sang. They all looked at each other and laughed loudly. I shrugged; must be a future reference. Maybe I would ask Alice to explain it for me later.

Bouncing over, Lin sat in between Alice and Mandy, looking rather glad to be reunited with them. I smiled at the sight of the happy reunion, glad that it was making Alice happy.

Alice. How could I even begin to explain my feelings about this girl, even though I had just met her. How could I, a twenty-five year old model of a modern major general, love a sixteen year old girl from an America in the future? Especially when you factor in the fact that I was already married? It must be a match made in Heaven, I guessed.

My thoughtful silence was broken as Lin began to speak. "You ask for identification on who we truly are, Alex? I am Lin-Manuel Miranda, a singer and playwright from the year 2016, a resident of the state of New York in the United States of America-"

He was interrupted by Ben, who said, "United States of America, as in we win the war?"

"Yes," Lin smiled at Hamilton. "We win the war."

Joy. I feel so much of it flooding me. All of that suffering, all of the grief and mourning, would not be for nothing. "What comes next?" I inquire, wanting to find out what happens to my country after the war.

Smirking, Alice answered, "You become President."

"WHAT?!"

The interrogation, if you could even call it that, continued well into the night. We learned so much about how America was governed, how dysfunctional the current president race was getting (Donald Trump anyone?), and more importantly, what would happen in the war over the next few years.

All the while, I got closer with Alice, who clearly felt the same way I did about her. At least, I hope she did.

Only time would tell.

End of chapter