Chapter Twenty-Four: Chats

Alice's POV

"Come now, Mandy. You can't be Sirius."

"No, I'm Mandy."

Giggling at the Harry Potter pun, we continued on with the conversation. Mandy and Ben (who was just sitting there very confused about the whole pun thing) were informing me about their recent discoveries in regards to Charles Lee. Apparently, he was sending some men to assassinate me-

My chain of thoughts was interrupted by George, who entered the tent right at that very moment. Good timing, Washington. Just as I was about to explain to the readers what was going on! (Yes, I know I totally broke the fourth wall there. SCREW THE FOURTH WALL!)

"May I speak to Ali, please? Alone?" He inquired, and I inclined my head, standing up and pushing my chair in.

"General. You wished to speak with me?" I questioned of him as we walked to his tent, hands in our pockets.

"Aye. Urgent intelligence has come to my attention. I presume you already know of it, however?" He looked me in the eye, and I took his hand, holding it in mine.

"I do. And I will do everything in my power to remain safe." I promised him, and he gave me a rare smile.

"Excellent. However, I still see fit to give you a guard, for your safety. As my intended, you are targeted enough as it is. And I do not want another repeat of your kidnapping before Monmouth. I shall assign Lafayette and Hamilton to watch over you on a day to day basis."

I nodded, realizing that it would be futile to argue with my Commander... and lover. But I hadn't realized that we were engaged yet, that I was his intended... Maybe the soul bond made the engagement automatic? I would have to try to contact Aphrodite later and ask.

"But enough of that! Let's sit down and have a chat, like we used to before Valley Forge! A nod to the old times, yes?"

Grinning, I responded, "That would be excellent."

"So," he said, moving closer to me. Tell me about the school you go to in your time."

I stared at him.

"What? I'm only trying to make conversation!" He defended himself, putting his hands up in the air.

"The school I go to is called Terrace Hill High. It's a semi-large school, probably about a hundred sixty students per grade, which means that there are less than a thousand students there, but I just know you would love to meet most of them." I started to ramble, as he raised an eyebrow at me.

"Most?" George came and sat next to me. "Who are the people I do not want to meet?"

I took a breath. This was going to take a while.

An hour or so later, we were walking out of his tent, idly discussing non-important topics.

"You know, I love that necklace you're wearing. The one with the silver heart?" George suddenly commented, and my hand flew up to my throat to touch it for no reason.

"Why, thank you, sir!" I replied, and suddenly I got an idea. However, I would need to talk to Aphrodite about it.

"It was a gift from my father, before he was murdered." I added, shivering at the unpleasant memory. It was almost as if George could sense what I was remembering, and pulled me into a hug, surprising me.

No words were needed between us.

After all, actions speak louder than words.

With that thought lingering in my mind, we walked back to my tent, silence tightening its grip over us.

Once we got inside, I sat on my bed, letting out a sigh of relief.

"Phew! Thank Providence we are safely inside now. I keep on feeling like someone -or something- is watching me." I chuckled, scoffing at the thought. Nobody was here except for me and George.

However, someone was there.

And it was not who I was expecting.

"Umm, Ali? You might want to look up?" George lifted a shaky hand to point at something that made me gasp.

It was a ghost.

Not just any ghost, but the one of my father, Senator Perseus Bell.

"P-Percy? Is that you?" I stammered, pinching myself to make sure that this was not a dream.

"Oh my lord, Ali, look at you! You've grown so much!" Percy finally spoke, and I could already feel stray tears falling. George looked at me, paused for a second, and reached over, grasping my hand in his. Steadying me. Grounding me.

"I-I don't know what to say! I've been praying I could see you again for years, but now I am trapped in silence!" I exclaimed, and Percy approached, putting a ghostly hand on my shoulder. Immediately, I felt as if I had been plunged into a bucket of water.

"There is no need to say anything, Princess. I have a warning for you both. A prophecy, so to speak, from the lord Apollo himself." At this, I looked up.

"A prophecy? Pray tell, what is it?"

"Well, it is not an actual prophecy. It is more like a piece of advice. And I quote, 'Heed not the leaders who seek to harm you. Heed not the yapping of the other side. Stand above it all, and you both will make it through the war. Should you fail, you both will die."

✔️| Becoming Lady Washingtonजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें