Chapter Twenty-One: Takedown

Chapter Twenty-One:
Alice's POV

The next day, I was walking to the stables to go on a ride when suddenly, all the activity in the camp stopped. I looked around for the source of the interference, and growled.

Charles Lee was standing at the entrance to the camp, wearing his uniform and acting as if nothing was wrong, as if he was not a General on the British side. As if he was not the one to attempt to humiliate George. Oh, the desire to punch him was getting stronger by the day!

Mandy ran up behind me, skidding to a halt. "Lee is back!" She exclaimed, only confirming what I knew before. Great. Just great. Or should I say, Awesome! Wow!

"Don't remind me about him," I whisper-growled to her just as Washington rode up on horseback. Our eyes made contact as he passed me, and he dismounted when he was close enough to Lee. Crossing his arms, he stared him down.

"So, Charles. You think it's humorous to tell my men to retreat when I wanted them to attack? To undermine my authority?"

Lee looked at the ground, shuffling his feet nervously. "Um- I, Um," Mandy and I looked at each other, and did everything in our power not to laugh. The struggle was real!

"... Do you find it humorous to be kidnapped, and send by word of courier that you have been turned and are now an officer in the British army? Have you forgotten who the enemy is? Are you so wrapped up in your quest to humiliate me and gain glory for yourself that you have forgotten that we were all on the same side? At least, I thought we were."

Lee looked up, looking George in the eye. "No sir, I do not. And if I may apologize for my heinous actions..."

"You may not."

"What?!" Lee exclaimed, and I could see the panic in his eyes at the thought of losing his outlet to enemy information.

"You heard me right. I am not letting you apologize. You committed one of the worst crimes a human being could commit: treason. And there is enough damning evidence for you to be prosecuted-" Washington was cut off by an angry Lee, who began talking, and I groaned internally.

"Sir, I apologize for interrupting you, but at least hear me out. Captain Simcoe and Major André forced me to write the letter in my own hand, and forced me to take an oath to His Majesty, pledging my loyalty to his cause. If you have any use for a spy on the inside..." Lee trailed off, looking at Washington, who raised his eyebrows at the thought.

"General Lee, meet me inside. Everyone else, you are dismissed."

Mandy and I looked at each other, before shrugging and walking to Mandy's tent. Ben was already there, seemingly waiting for us.

"I can't believe him!" Growled Ben, slamming his hand on the desk.

"Who? Lee?" I politely asked.

"Yes! If George falls for his lies I swear I will break something. We cannot let this bastard back in our ranks! I actually have a feeling that he was sent here to assassinate George. Honestly, it is not that outlandish of an idea!" Ben stood up, pacing around the tent. "Yes, yes. That is what he is here to do. Trust me on these things; I am almost always right."

"That you are, Ben. Now, where were we?"

George stood at the entrance to the tent, and I looked at Mandy, mouthing "Whoops, he did it again."

Mandy let out a small chuckle at one of our many inside jokes, and proceeded to stand.

"No, no. No need to stand. Now, what were we discussing? This seems like such an interesting conversation. Don't mind me, I'm just enjoying the show. Go on." George said, and I turned away to hide my giggles at the unintentional use of yet another Mandy-Me inside joke.

"We were just discussing what we thought you were discussing with General Lee, General," I supplied eventually, after a silence that had held in the air for about ten seconds.

"Oh. That. Right. Anyways, I Was talking to him about possibly being our eyes and ears on the opposite line of battle." Ben looked up at this.

"Pardon my interruption, but would General Lee be a member of you-know-what?" He interrupted, and I could see Mandy crossing her fingers behind her back. She was probably praying that the answer was no.

"Yes. Yes he would." George finally answered, nodding.

"Okay, I'm going to go take a break to mull things over." Ben growled. Wow, he was really pissed off today.

He stood up, and made to leave the room. "Good day General, Lieutenant Colonels."

"Good day," we all called after him, but he was too far away to hear us.

"711, that was really not a smart idea." I chastised, and his head snapped up at the nickname.

"You know about it?" He asked urgently, his voice dropping down to a whisper.

"Yes, both me and Mandy do. Um, Ben already told us." I explained, and he nodded.

"Oh."

A silence descended upon us once more, each and every one of us wrapped up in our own thoughts.

"Guys, I am going to go talk to Ben. I shall return." Mandy said, breaking the silence.

"Okay. See you in a bit. Good luck!" I said.

"Thanks, Ali. I shall return!" Mandy left with a flourish, her last sentence hanging in the air.

"Well, then. Shall we continue our conversation?"