Chapter Twenty-Two: Intelligence

Washington's POV

I was walking through the very same field in which I had met Aphrodite, enjoying the beautiful weather. The sky was bluer than it had been before, not a cloud to be seen, and there was a light breeze blowing through the trees in the distance. It was so peaceful.

Suddenly, I sensed a disturbance. Looking over, I saw Aphrodite, who grinned at me and waved. I waved back, and made my way over to her.

"How are you, General?" She asked, absentmindedly fiddling with an unfinished flower crown as I sat down in the field with her.

"Fine, thank you. Yourself?"

"I find myself to feel quite pleasant, George. Now, let's get to business. I don't have much time to speak to you," Aphrodite sat down her flower crown and scooted closer to me. "Do you know why I am here?"

"Um.... no?" I replied, the gears in my head turning.

"I am here because of the future." Aphrodite told me, her tone actually serious for once.

"The future? What about it?" I inquired, looking at her curiously.

"The end of the war draws near. Alice probably knows this, considering she has committed the timeline of this war for independence to memory. Anyways, I must ask you to be careful. As you know, there are people trying to undermine your authority, and remove you from it altogether by whatever means possible. Ben was right when he said that an assassin was planted in your camp earlier today. And we cannot have the leadership of this army be taken over by Gates, Lee, or another follower of theirs. It would be disastrous for the course of history." She spoke low and fast, as though we were being watched.

"But, what does that have to do with my -this country's- future, my Lady?" I asked, still confused about the whole situation.

"I am calling you here to prepare you for what is to come. Turbulent times lay ahead, and I want you to be ready for them. Be prepared for what is coming."

"Wait!" I cried as Aphrodite started to fade away. "What is coming? Why do I need to be prepared?"

Aphrodite vanished before I could finish the sentence. However, I swore I could hear the voice of a young girl giggling, "That is something you have to find out for yourself."

My eyes shot open, only to be almost blinded by the sunlight streaming through the tent opening. Shrugging, I got out of bed and started getting ready for the day. I would think about the dream later. For now, I have an army to run.

Ben's POV

"HA! They think I'm innocent, a victim of Andre and Simcoe's brutality. Pathetic fools."

Mandy stopped as Charles Lee's voice reached her ears, almost causing me to trip over her. I opened my mouth to speak, but she held a finger to her lips. Be quiet.

"In reality, I am actually on the other side entirely. Washington sill believes that I am loyal to his cause, though he harbors some doubts about me, thanks to that upstart Lieutenant of his, Bell or something like that. She shall need to be dealt with, Robert. And I task you with that mission. Bell knows too much."

"Aye," Another voice I recognized said, and my eyes widened. Robert Rogers was here? How did he get past the guards?

Just then, Caleb Brewster, one of my old friends, came up and poked me on the shoulder.

"Later, Caleb." I mouthed. "This is important. This could change the course of the war."

"If you say so, Benny-boy."

Caleb left, and I strained my ears so I could continue to listen, and gain more damning evidence against Lee.

"... once both Washington and Bell are assassinated, I shall take command of the army for myself, and turn the path of the war so that it favors the Redcoats. Trust me, Robert. This will work."

A few minutes later, Lee left the tent. I glanced in, and somehow Rodgers had vanished, confusing me a great deal. You can't simply vanish into thin air!

Glancing at Mandy, I pointed to the inside of the tent and raised an eyebrow. Should I go look and see if I find anything?

Mandy gave a slight nod, indicating that she thought I should go look. Strengthening my resolve and reminding myself that the fate of the war depends on this, I squared my shoulders and walked into the tent.

Looking around, I observed that Lee's tent looked to be completely ordinary, and very organized. (Unlike the man himself.) Then, I noticed his desk in the corner, which had numerous, chaotic piles of paper stacked on it. A pile was on the chair, five piles on the desk, papers strewn on the floor, you get the idea. Crumpled up balls of paper were overflowing from the nearby trash can, and I picked up a piece of paper, beginning to read what was written on it.

From Major John Andre

To: Gen. Charles Lee

Agent, I present to you a new mission of utmost importance. As you know, Washington's army grows stronger now that the winter spent at Valley Forge has passed. Washington himself is recovering from his near-breakdown, gaining more and more confidence. And we can't have that if we wish one of our own (you) to be the Commander of the Continental Army, so that the war may be won for us. It is with a great deal of excitement that I ask you to begin you-know-what.

Let me know if the mission is successful, and if you require any assistance in completing your goal.

Respectfully yours,

Maj. Andre