Chapter Two: Interruptions

Mom arrived earlier than she said she would.

As me and Mandy piled into the electric blue convertible, we talked in hushed voices, wondering who the surprise guest(s) would be.

"Maybe my Uncle Charlie is coming over again," I groaned, putting my face in my hands.

"Aww, don't be so negative. It could be a celebrity for all you know." Grinned Mandy, bouncing up and down in her seat in excitement.

"Girls, settle down back there." My mom commanded, glancing at us and then turning her eyes back on the road. I looked at Mandy, and we rolled our eyes at Mom's back when she was not looking.

We arrived at home, and I realized that, just on the 1% chance that Mandy was right and a celebrity was having dinner with us, that I needed to look nice. I ran up to my room in our little apartment, and I slid on a pretty sky blue romper with wavy sleeves. Grabbing my hairbrush, I began the long process of brushing the tangles out of my shoulder-length black hair. After I glanced at myself in the mirror, I bounded down the staircase that led into our kitchen.

"I'M BACK!" I bellowed, walking into the room. "So, what'd I miss?"

Snickering at the reference to Hamilton, Mandy smiled. "Nothing much. Your mom was just telling me how our guest will not be arriving for fifteen more minutes."

"Excellente," I whispered, but then continued in a louder voice. "Want to go up to my room and hang out?"

"Sure!" Mandy chirped, springing up out of her chair.

Racing up the staircase, I leaped into my room, feeling a random spasm of energy coursing through me. "Come on!" I called out, as I fell onto my bed. "Let's play Go Fish!"

"Okay!"

A few minutes later, we were in the middle of an intense game of Go Fish.

"Mandy, do you have any sevens?"

"No, but I do have a top-notch brain. GO FISH!" Mandy giggled, grinning.

Groaning, I reached into the go fish pile, just as Mandy started singing one of our favorite songs for no reason at all.

How does a bastard, orphan,
Son of a whore and a Scotsman,
Dropped in the middle of a forgotten spot in the Carribean by Providence impoverished in squalor, grow up to be a hero and a scholar?

I took up the song, continuing on to the next stanza.

The ten dollar Founding Father without a father, got a lot father by working and lot harder by being a lot smarter by being a self starter, by 14: they placed him in charge of a trading charter!

Before Mandy could continue on, however, my mother called us down.

"MANDY! ALICE! VISITORS!" She hollered up the stairs. We shared one look at each other, and then we raced each other down the creaky staircase.

Skidding into the kitchen, I stopped as I saw my mother, dressed up in a business suit, talking at the table with two men I clearly recognized.

Mandy's jaw dropped when she saw who was sitting at the kitchen table with my mother.

"No. Freaking. WAY!" She whispered, eyes widening. "This is impossible. This is not happening."

"it is happening. Just like history happened in Manhattan all those years ago. We are having dinner with Lin-Manuel Miranda and Daveed Diggs."

END OF CHAPTER

Hey guys! Don't wonder about why Lin and Daveed are at Alice's house for dinner, all will be revealed next chapter. This is gonna be gooooooood!

Dreamie out!