Chapter Four: Confusion

Photo: Well... LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, WILL YOU LOOK AT THAT! ITS GENERAL IAN KHAN ! *dramatic music starts playing*

Alice's POV

"Come on guys, let's get out of here before we get discovered by unfriendly souls." Lin said. "And just in case the unimaginable happened and we did travel back in time, let's find out the date while we are at it."

"Good idea, Lin," I replied, feeling shivers going up my spine at the idea of time travel. We walked out of the forest and into some sort of... camp. Not just any camp, but an army camp.

"I'm going to go find out the date. Let me do the talking, and I will be right back." Lin told us, as he edged out from behind the tree that we were hiding by.

"Good luck, Lin," I whispered, but he was too far away.

Lin's POV

I walked into the camp, my eyes searching and scanning the area for signs of trouble. Men in blue uniforms were scattered around, engaged in various activities. Some were talking with one another, others were training, and others were inspecting weapons. In one area, I could see five soldiers, who looked to be superior to the others. This was made obvious by the epaulettes on their jackets, which I recognized from a certain show I had written.

The jackets the men were wearing were not just any jackets.

They were jackets the Continental Army had as part of their uniform.

"No." I muttered quietly to myself. "It must be a nightmare. Or maybe it is just a Revolutionary War reenactment. But if that was the case, how did I get from New York to here?"

Thank God I was still in costume from the afternoon's Hamilton performance; if I had been wearing my normal clothes, I would stand out like a yellow Skittle in a sea of red Skittles, and our cover would have been blown immediately, I mused. Gathering up my courage, I walked up to the nearest soldier, who reminded me suspiciously of a certain General/President all informed scholars in America knew and loved.

"Sir? This may seem like a weird question, and I know you are wondering why I am here, but can you be so kind as to please tell me today's date?" I inquired of the man, who turned toward me.

"Certainly, Mr..."

"Miranda, ...General. Lin-Manuel Miranda. But you can call me Lin."

"In that case, you can call me George. Oh, and to answer your question, today's date is December 19, 1776."

Well, that confirmed it. I was in the past.

That was my last thought before I fainted, and all went black.

Mandy's POV

"Where's Lin?" Alice turned and whispered to me, tension edging into her voice. I could hear her panic building. "It should not have taken him this long!"

"Relax, Alice. He should be back soon. Don't worry." I soothed my anxious friend. Calmly, I walked over to where she was sitting on a humongous rock, her foot tapping the ground in impatience, and sat on the rock with her.

An hour passed.

Then two hours.

Finally, Alice got a wonderful idea. Yeah, that was sarcasm. I am a very sarcastic human being, in case you didn't know.

"You know what, Mandy, I'll go looking for him. You stay here."

"If you say so. I'm trusting your judgement here, Alice." I shrugged, and slid off the rock, my feet hitting the ground softly.

Alice's POV

I spent two more hours searching for Lin (the existence of the camp was forgotten) when I, at long last, decided that I had had enough. Grumpily, I sat down on a rock, and contemplated what to do next.

"Looking for someone?" A deep voice asked.

"Yeah, a friend of mine. Maybe you might know him." I said, not bothering to turn around. Instead, I crossed my arms over my chest.

"What is his name? Possibly I have run into him."

"Miranda. Lin-Manuel Miranda. You probably have heard of him (unless you have been living under a rock); he did write a musical all about the life of Alexander Hamilton after all."

Washington's POV

The minute the beautiful young girl mentioned my new friend Lin's name, my interest was piqued. When she mentioned one of my Aides-de-Camp, and mentioned that there was a musical about him, my interest in this conversation skyrocketed. What really got me was: How did Lin know all about the life of Hamilton if Alexander hadn't even lived all of it before? Resolving to find out more later, I continued the conversation.

"So, what is your name? I'm Washington, by the way. George Washington."

"And I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy," sniggered the girl, but her head suddenly snapped up. "Shoot," she whispered to herself. Louder, she said, "I'm Alice Bell. Pleased to make your acquaintence, General."

"And I yours. You seem like a fascinating character, and I wish to get to know you better. I invite you to stay in our camp for the evening, so that I may endeavor to succeed in my quest." I knew I was making a risky move with the invite, but I could not help myself for some reason. I had just met her, yet I felt inexplicable emotions toward her.

Straightening my blue sash, I offered Alice my hand, and she gladly took it. Her blue eyes met mine, and I was struck by how vivid they were. Suddenly, her eyes widened.

"Mandy! Shoot, I forgot about her. Oh, she's going to kill me." Alice exclaimed, face paling. Confused, I looked at her again.

"Who is this 'Mandy' you speak of?" I asked.

"One of my best friends. She is currently waiting in the forest for me to return with Lin. I have to find her before something horrible happens!" she said, pacing.

"This is the American Revolution, Alice." Alice began talking to herself in a soft, commanding voice, and I strived to listen to her. "Anything could happen. General Washington and the continental army did win against the Redcoats, after all."

"If anything can happen, what are you waiting for? Let's go!" I exclaimed, and we raced off.

Alice's POV

Luckily, we found Mandy right where we had left her. Nothing had happened when I was gone, thank the Lord.

Then, Mandy noticed just who was standing behind me, his hand on my shoulder.

"What the hell? If this is the General I think he is, he is supposed to be dead. But he is right in front of me. That means... no no no. This cannot be happening." the girl spoke in a panicked whisper. "Is this what insanity looks like?"

"Oh Mandy, this is not insanity. This is reality. And I like this reality quite much, my friend."