3 - One Step At A Time

Please listen to One Step At A Time - Jordin Sparks for this chapter

* * *

This was it.

"Alena, It's time for school!!" I leaned over the doorway to the kitchen to yell across the room.

When I had the appointment with the school, I was so nervous. I knew for a fact that they would not accept us but it appeared as though my "Boss" may have had something to do with us getting accepted because when I walked in to meet the principle, she greeted me with "You must be Avery, I've heard great things about you from my friend Bianca."

Bianca? So that's what her name was. When I had the job interview I never really caught her name because my nerves were all over the place. Thanks to her though they gave us a chance and accepted us, even put me on a payment plan because of my situation. Of course the only thing she knew was that I had no parents but due to student confidentiality, she reminded me that I had nothing to worry about.

"Do we have to go?! I don't wanna!" Alena whined for the fourth time as we were finishing our breakfast.

I couldn't help but roll my eyes at her "Alena... We already went through this. We have to go to school. It's already done. Go brush your teeth so we can go"

* * *

"Remember what I told you?" I asked Alena as we stood in front of her school.

"Yes, don't tell anyone about our life, if anything happens to ask for you, always keep my glasses on and not to lose them because we can't afford new ones" Alena repeated in monotone.

"Good, now I'm literally across the road OK, you'll be fine and I know you will make friends in no time" I reassured her, I could see that she was as nervous as me. We said our goodbyes and I stood there watching her walk into school, just as she was about to go inside she turned to give me one last dimpled smile and a small wave.

Now, it was my turn.

First day of Senior Year. I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. Not only were we in a new town but I literally did not know anyone and I had no friends, no family; except of course Aly-Cat.

I would be lying if I said I didn't miss my old friends but all of my friends were friends with my ex-boyfriend, Noah; which is why I had to cut ties with all of them including my best friends Crystal and Isaac. I couldn't risk telling any of them where I was.

'Just keep your head down'

I re-adjusted the backpack on my shoulder and forced my feet to start walking towards my school, I stopped in my track when I saw five motorbikes lined up neatly next to each other. I just had to admire them, they were beyond perfect, expensive too. Tempted to run my hand along the leather seat.

There was one word to describe riding a motorcycle;

Freedom

I loved the way the wind would blow through my hair, the adrenaline rush coursing through my veins with every turn and every acceleration. Each turn being calculative and timed.

"You like it?"

I quickly turned to see who had asked that question and am faced with a very attractive, very tall guy, I'd say around 6'1 with beautiful dark brown eyes, brown hair tousled back away from his face, chiseled jawline and a big smile on his face showcasing the tiny dimples on his face.

"Yea. It's really beautiful" I wasn't going to lie, but I wasn't sure if I was referring to him or the bike.

"Do you ride?" He tilted his head to the side and gave me that breathtaking smile again.