30 - Left Outside Alone

Please listen to Left Outside Alone - Anastasia for this chapter

* * *

For the first time since I've been here, the remainder of the week went really well. There were no arguments, no drama, nothing. This past week, Jaxon and I had been spending a lot more time with each other, for the last three days he had been dropping and picking me up from work. He would also come down and we would watch a movie together or play twenty questions in an effort to get to know each other better. The more time I spent with him, the more I knew I was starting to fall for his charm.

By the time Thursday came, I felt that we were finally in a good place with each other. All was forgiven between the two of us and I couldn't be more happier. I knew there were some things I needed to still tell him but they weren't a necessity at the moment, they could be pushed back a few more weeks.

"You okay?" He asked as he kept his eyes on the road. Jaxon had just picked me up from work and was taking me out to dinner. Apparently while I was working he had called Lisa to tell her that we were going to be late, to let Alena know so she wouldn't panic. I thought it was ridiculously adorable of him to come up with this plan, so who was I to complain about eating dinner at 9:30pm?

We arrived at an Italian restaurant called 'Mario's Wine and Dine'. I was a little nervous thinking it was Five Star considering the way I was currently dressed but luckily it had a cafe vibe, very relaxed and chilled. After ordering our food we sat there, hand in hand smiling at each other like love sick puppies.

It was company I thoroughly enjoyed, we laughed until we cried about the silliest things. Before I knew it, an hour had passed. You know you're in good company when you don't realise how much time has passed. We fell silent for a minute as we looked into each other's eyes. Jaxon had opened his mouth to say something but abruptly stops when my phone rang.

Apologising to Jaxon, I quickly answered in case it was an emergency, "Hello?"

"Avery?! I'm so glad I got you on the phone! I'm so sorry! I tried to stop her!" Lisa's cries came through the phone as I tried to understand what was happening. When I looked up I saw Jaxon was already looking at me for answers.

"Lisa, slow down. What happened?!" My heartbeat started to pick up as I kept thinking about worse case scenarios. I was waiting for the dreaded words "She's dead"

"My mum asked me to come pick up Jonathan from the restaurant, so I brought Alena with me so she wasn't alone. B-but w-when we got here, she just jumped out and crossed the road, I tried to stop her but the car just came out of nowhere! I'm so sorry!" She said before she started to cry again.

"What hospital?!" I cried out as Jaxon waived for the waiter to get our bill.

"Mercy Hospital. Jaxon knows which one" she whispered defeatedly

"I'm on my way"

* * *

So many scenarios were going through my head. It took us twenty gruesome minutes to get to my sister, I tried to remain calm but I kept thinking about how bad her condition was. When we had arrived, we were told by the Doctor that considering the event we were lucky that she only had a broken arm and a few cuts and bruises, it was nothing too critical. The only issue was that the guy who hit her kept driving, he didn't even stop. According to Lisa, the driver looked to be young, around our age.