12 - Counting Stars

Please listen to Counting Stars - OneRepublic for this entire chapter

* * *

This isn't the first time I have done this.

For over eight years, every time I ran into a guy whose name was either Andrew, Andy or Drew, I'd go into panic overdrive.

My whole life, my dad and my brother have always been at the back my mind, constantly wondering where they were.

"Avery, you ok?" Jaxon asks, obviously noticing my state of mind.

I instantly shook my head "Sorry, you just look like someone I used to know" I forced a smile at the guys.

Drew's cheeks flushed, "It's OK. I get that a lot to be honest."

Drew proceeded to work on my car but I couldn't find the energy to move, I just stood there dumb founded, staring at him work. I wanted to ask him so many questions, interrogate him about his life. I needed to know if he was my Andrew or not.

"How's your mum" Jaxon's voice echoed through me. Who was he referring to? When I looked at him I realised he was facing Drew.

"Yeah man, she's much better now. She was really sick last week" Drew answered almost immediately.

Just like that my heart sank, knowing I wasn't a step closer to finding Andrew or my dad. I didn't have the strength to move or respond to either one of them.

I just stood there feeling deflated while I watched Drew's movements, until I felt someone snake an arm around my waist which brought me back to reality. I looked up to see Jaxon pulling me towards the waiting room, "Are you sure you're okay?" he whispered.

I just nodded at him "I'm fine. I promise."

He just sat directly across from me as he looked me over with concern written on his face "If you say so."

We sat there in silence staring at each other until a smile creeped its way to my face when I couldn't hold on any longer, a giggle escaped my lips "What?"

Jaxon's eyes widened a fraction before recovering himself "Nothing. Just trying to figure you out."

"There's nothing to figure out."

"You and I both know there's a lot more to you."

"Let's agree to disagree."

Our conversation slowly died at that point. He didn't push further and I didn't give in and tell him anything. After what felt like ages, Drew finally came in to sit down with us to explain what was wrong with my car.

* * *

"$300!!" My voice roared through the shop. After Drew had examined my car to find the cause of it, he decided it would be great to enlighten me with how much it was going to cost to repair.

"What the hell? What am I buying that it's $300?!" I lifted my hands in the air out of anger.

Drew began to answer but I interrupted him "I'm sorry, ignore my outburst. You already explained the repair to me. I just wasn't prepared for the amount."

Drew's eyebrows creased up as he smiled sweetly at me "It's alright. I wish I could make it cheaper but standard price is $500, dropping it to $300 was the best I could do."

I shook my head "No it's fine, thank you so much for the help."

Drew gave me a sympathetic smile "No problem. The car will be ready to be picked up on Sunday at 10am."