chapter fourteen

I woke up very early the next morning,
the sun was rising.

I wanted to go back to sleep, but the colors were too vibrant and gorgeous that I couldn't resist going outside and watching it.

as I lifted myself out of bed, I noticed I was wearing Luis' sweatshirt, and was reminded of last night.

I started smiling like an idiot.

I decided to go on a walk while I watched the sunrise. the landscape there was amazing, especially around the dorms. sometimes we'd have class with miss McKay out by the lake when the weather was nice enough.

I threw on a pair of slippers then snuck outside, being careful not to wake up my sleeping teammates.

it was so peaceful out there. I walked in circles around the lake and admired the colors painted in the sky. it was so beautiful the way the pink and orange light reflected off the water.

I felt truly free in that moment. my worries were gone, I was careless and calm. I almost wanted it to last forever.

after walking around for a while, I sat down on the banks of the lake as I watched the rest of the sunrise.

"beautiful isn't it?" I heard a boy's voice say. I was startled like you wouldn't believe.

the boy sat down beside me. when I looked over, it was Adam. "yeah." I said as I bit my lip.

"I love watching sunsets and sunrises. they are the most fascinating and peaceful things." he said as he admired the colors.

suddenly, he looked down at the grass. "are you and Luis dating? I saw you two together after practice last night." he asked me quietly as he twiddled with the grass. "no. he's just my best friend. that's all." I said, blushing. I heard a sigh of relief come from Adam.

"good." he started.

"so um, Hallie. I was wondering if perhaps you wanted to come get ice cream with me after the game this evening?" he asked, blushing. "just as friends." he quickly added. "I would love to." I smiled. "great! sounds good." he excitedly said.

"do you want to walk with me?" he asked. "sure." I giggled. Adam quickly stood and offered to help me up by reaching his arm out to me. I accepted his offer and grabbed onto his hand. he pulled me up and we began to walk.

"you're so talented, Hallie. you know that?" he mentioned as we walked side by side around the dorm building. "thanks. I never would've thought that I'd make it this far in hockey." I said as I smiled at the ground.

"me neither. are you ready for the game tonight?" he asked. "I guess so. I'm a little nervous, but isn't everyone?" I giggled.

the sun was almost fully risen and the pink sky faded to pale yellow & blue. I dreaded that it was almost over.

I looked over at Adam and he smiled at me admiringly. it was quiet until I felt a hand touch mine, I squealed and jumped a little. Adam was right, I really do scare easily.

he interlocked our fingers gently. our hands dangled between us, woven like a basket.

we walked and talked for several more minutes, still hand in hand.

the sun was fully risen now, practically blinding the two of us.

I wanted this moment to last forever, but I knew it had to come to an end since it was almost time for breakfast and class would be starting soon.

"Adam, we need to hurry and go eat breakfast." I said. "oh yeah! we have class. I totally forgot." he laughed.

I started to walk back to the dorms, but he grabbed my hand and stopped me.

"get on my back." he said. "what? Adam you're crazy!" I laughed. "just trust me! we need to get to the dorms." he assured me. I playfully punched his shoulder as I got ready to hop on. I jumped up and he effortlessly pulled me onto his back, then started walking quickly towards the dorms.

"you're crazy!" I giggled as I wrapped my arms around his neck. "I know." he laughed.

we made it to the dorms a moment later. I carefully climbed off of his back and smiled at him as I pushed open the doors, then headed to the kitchen.

we ate cereal for breakfast and walked to class together afterwards; so I had a pretty great start to the day.

plus, I was definitely looking forward to our date!