chapter eighteen

"okay Hallie, I have some good news... and some bad news." said the doctor as he walked back into the room with x-rays of both of my wrists.

he had told me a few moments earlier that my knees and hips were fine, and that they were just going to bruise.

my stomach fluttered with anxiety and I twiddled with my fingers.

"let me start with the good news." he said while he lifted the x-Ray of my right wrist.

"you have no breaks or fractures."

I sighed with relief.

"but..." he said as he placed the x-Ray down and lifted the other one.

"your left wrist is sprained." he finished.

I felt my heart sink.

"it should take four days to a week to heal."

wonderful. I had at least two games in the span of seven days. I'd probably be missing both unless I got lucky somehow.

"you need to stay off the ice until there is little to no pain." said the doctor as he handed me a fabric bandage wrap for my wrist.

"I wish you the best of luck." he said as he escorted me out of the room.

when I walked back into the waiting room, I saw miss McKay waiting with Luis, who had an ice pack rested on his shoulder.

once he saw me, he quickly got up and hurried over to me.

he grasped both of my hands. he grabbed a bit to hard and it hurt my left wrist, causing me to drop my bandage wrap on the ground.

"ouch!" I squealed.

"oh yeah. sorry." laughed Luis as he bent over to pick up my wrap.

"so... are you injured?" he asked as he gingerly grasped my right hand.

I looked over at miss McKay who was grinning and shaking her head, then back at Luis.

"I, uh.. have a sprained wrist." I said, loud enough that miss McKay heard and walked over to us.

"it should be healed in four days to a week." I continued.

the three of us walked out of the doctor's office and headed to the car.

"oh Hallie, I'm sorry." said miss McKay.

"Luis are you injured?" I asked.

"not anymore." he said rubbing his shoulder with his ice pack.

"you dislocated your shoulder, didn't you?" I asked.

"yes he did. the doctor had to pop it back into place." miss McKay chimed in

I cringed at the sound of it. stuff like that really grossed me out and made me uncomfortable.

once we reached the car, Luis opened the door for me and we got in.

"I just need to rest tomorrow, so I can play in the game against Iceland. thank God." he said.

I didn't show it, but I was upset.

this was Luis' fault and I was the one who got hurt. to be completely honest, the team needed me on the ice more that him.

at least I knew how to stop.

I fiddled with my bandage wrap for the rest of the car ride back to the dorms.

once we arrived and got out of the car, Luis noticed me sulking.