chapter sixteen

I was woken up by Luis the next morning.

"Hallie, wake up." he said as he shook my shoulder. "go away!" I hollered grumpily as I took my pillow and wrapped it around my head to cover my ears.

"get up Hals!" he said, louder this time. I didn't budge.

"fine, you asked for it." he said as he began to tickle my sides. I squealed and quickly hopped out of bed.

once I was on my feet, I hit Luis with my pillow.

"what do you want?!" I asked him, angrily. "I made you pancakes. you better come and get some before Goldberg gets ahold of them." he laughed.

I slowly and tiredly walked to him and gave him a hug as a way to thank him.

he smelled so good. just like all those sweatshirts of his that I'd taken into my possession.

we walked into the kitchen together and inhaled the sweet smell of the pancakes he made.

he set them on plate for me with syrup and blueberries and everything.

"awh Luis! this is so cute. thank you!" I said excitedly as I sat down in in front of my plate.

"I was going to put some pineapples on your plate too but I couldn't find any." he said as he winked at me.

he took a seat across from me and began eating his. I quickly dug into mine and they tasted great. Luis had always been a talented cook.

we talked and ate and played with each other's feet beneath the table, just like I'd done with Adam the previous night.

my teammates began coming in to get breakfast. they complained to Luis about how he should have made pancakes for them too.

the last person to walk in was coach Bombay. he poured some orange juice into a glass before having a talk with the team.

"you all did so well yesterday evening." he smiled. the team cheered proudly.

"I expect more games like that, you worked together fantastically to beat Italy. they weren't difficult competition though. as you all know, we have a game against Iceland in two days. they are a bigger and stronger team, so we will be practicing hard today and tomorrow. I'll see you all at practice at 4:00 sharp." he announced before leaving with his glass of orange juice.

I looked over at Luis nervously, he had the same expression on his face as I.

"man, I have a bad feeling about that team." he said. "me too. but we are all pretty strong and confident, we should be fine." I said, though I knew are chances of defeating Iceland were slim.

"yeah." Luis quietly said as he poked at his food with his fork.

I got up to go wash my plate when Adam suddenly bumped into me.

"oh, sorry." I squealed, looking up at him. he laughed and smiled down at me.

"it's fine." he said as he took the plate from my hand and began washing it. "uh, you don't have to do that, Adam." I giggled.

Luis seemed bothered by Adam's chivalry, but he still walked over and handed his plate to Adam for him to clean also.

Adam took the plate from his hand, set it down in the sink, turned off the water, and went to the fridge.

Luis looked over at me with the most flabbergasted expression.

"oh no you didn't." he said to Adam who had his mouth full of water from the bottle he'd just gotten out of the fridge.