chapter twenty nine

at 7:00, the whole team was gathered in the locker room starting to get geared up when coach Bombay walked in.

"wait! don't change into your gear. everyone just put on your skates and meet me out on the ice." he said with a smile just before walking out.

everyone looked around and gave each other looks of confusion. I shrugged and quickly tied my skates, then followed Julie and Connie to the ice.

once all of team USA was gathered on the ice, coach gave us an explanation. "since this is our last practice before the championship game, we're gonna have a little fun." he said with a smile. "is that okay with you guys?" he asked. "yeah!" we shouted.

coach Bombay threw a beach ball into the crowd and we skated off, throwing and kicking it around the ice.

in the midst of the fun, Adam skated over to me.

"hi there." he said, grinning. "hey." I smiled. "you excited for the game tomorrow?" he asked.

I was too caught up with Luis I forgot the big game was tomorrow! I surely wasn't prepared.

"oh my god! I totally forgot about the game!" I said. "hey don't stress. it's going to be fine, Hallie." he said with a grin.

"so how was Beverly Hills?" he asked. "it was amazing! a dream come true!" I said, excitedly. "I'm glad you ha-" Adam was cut off by the beach ball hitting him on the side of the head.

I busted out laughing and so did he. I looked in the direction it came from only to see Dean laughing evilly. I giggled and threw it back at him, then joined in the fun.

after a moment, Dwayne got ahold of his lasso and began chasing us; throwing it out to anyone who got close to him.

I skated behind Julie to avoid getting lassoed, then skated to Luis to hide behind him.

"nuh-uh. you're not getting behind me." he laughed as he skated backwards and I skated forwards in front of him. "we'll just see about that." I giggled as I tried to get behind him.

suddenly, he tripped over an indention in the ice and fell backwards, causing me to trip over his skate and fall right on top of him.

we layed there for a moment; me on top of him, face to face.

"hey, baby." he smirked, putting his hands on my back. I tried to pull my body off of his, but he held me down.

"you know, I always thought I'd be the one on top." he laughed.

"very funny." I said, rolling my eyes and laughing. "now let me get up." I groaned. "fine." he said, letting go of me.

just after we both stood, Dwayne lassoed us at the same time; then pulled us toward him. "yee-haw! two in one!" he hollered. we laughed as Dwayne unwrapped his lasso from around us.

the rest of practice was a load of fun. I was sad it was our last, but I had an amazing time.

it was almost 9 o'clock when we all got back to the dorms.

I was quite tired from the long day I had, so I immediately showered and got into bed, despite the early time. everybody else had either done the same or went to hang out in the lounge room.

I lied in my empty dorm room trying to sleep, but I just couldn't. I had bad anxiety because of the game; so bad that it was keeping me awake. so I turned to music to cope.

I got out of bed and walked over to Connie's stereo on the vanity, then put in a random cassette tape.

I really didn't care what kind of music was playing. I just wanted some tunes to help calm my nerves.

after I pressed play, the song 'can't help falling in love' by Elvis Presley began to play. that song had always been a favorite of mine, so I was automatically calmed.

the instrumental at the beginning was so beautiful; I couldn't help but want to dance.

"wise men say, only fools rush in" I sang along as I twirled around in the middle of the room.

"but I can't help-" I was startled when the door swung open and Luis came in, closing the door behind him.

"falling in love with you." Luis sang.

"I heard the music from my room. I love this song." he smiled. "me too." I giggled.

he came over to me and took ahold of one of my hands, and put his other hand on my back; I did the same. then we began to dance.

our feet pivoted to the slow beat of the music as we held each other. it was such a romantic moment.

Luis would usually be too handsy and eager; it was rare to see him be so gentle.

I moved my hands to his shoulders and he moved his to my lower back. I rested my head against his chest as we continued to slowly sway to the music.

when he held me in his arms, I felt at home. I felt so protected and loved.

Luis was the one for me. it was a shame I didn't realize it sooner. he was in right front of me the whole time. I made him so happy and he made me feel so cared for. we were meant for each other, and I was too busy focusing on Adam to realize it.

"darling, so it goes. some things are meant to be." I quietly sang along. Luis held me tighter, making me feel even more safe. even though I couldn't see his face, I knew he was smiling. and so was I.

I was so happy in the moment that I began to tear up. this song always made me cry; but it was because I had nobody for my own. this time I cried happy tears, because I had someone to love now.

Luis took my hands off of his shoulders, then interlocked our fingers. I smiled up at him as a tear rolled down my cheek.

"shh Hallie, don't cry. why are you crying?" he asked as he placed his hands on my face. "I'm happy." I smiled, trying not to cry more.

he wiped my tear, then leaned in and kissed me. it was a beautiful moment.

after a few seconds, Luis pulled away and hugged me tightly.

"I love you." he whispered in my ear. "I love you too." and just then the song ended.

Luis gently let go of me, then turned off the stereo. "you're tired Hallie, get in bed." he said, leading me to it. I lifted the covers and got in bed, then Luis put the covers back over me.

"I had a great time with you today." he smiled as he sat beside me. "I had fun." I said, tiredly.

"you're so cute when you're sleepy." he said. "thanks." I said, trying to stay awake. "and you have the greatest sleepy voice ever." he grinned as he leaned over and gently brushed the hairs out of my face, then gave me a kiss on the forehead.

"goodnight, babygirl." he said as he stood from the bed.

the last thing I heard before dosing off was 'I love you, princess.' and sound of the door being shut gently.