chapter twenty six

we had an early practice the next morning. usually, our practices ranged from times between 2:00 pm to as late as 9:30, but never as early as today's; 7:15 am.

but I wasn't complaining, we needed all the practice we could get before the championship game in two days.

I was awoken by Connie shaking my bottom bunk earlier that morning, telling me to get up.

I sleepily pulled myself out of bed and put on a random pair of shoes that may or may not have been mine. I really didn't care, I went to practice wearing Luis' sweatshirt and some black shorts; exactly what I slept in.

I did fix my hair though, I had just enough time to get it out of the rats nest it turned into overnight and put it in a loose French braid. that was one of the only hairstyles Connie, Julie, and I could comfortably wear underneath a tight helmet.

as the three of us walked to practice together, Connie asked me the question I'd been hoping she wouldn't.

"so how'd your date go the other night, Hallie? I never got the chance to ask." she smirked.

I had to lie to her, I couldn't let them know what really happened.

"it went great! instead of taking me out for ice cream, Adam surprised me and took me to a diner!" I giggled, trying not to think about the following events. "how sweet!" giggled Connie.

what happened afterward was not so sweet, but that was between Luis, Adam, Charlie and I. it wasn't necessary to tell anyone else.

after about an hour of drills at practice, coach Bombay let us free skate as a break.

I skated beside Charlie and Fulton while we talked about how excited we were to be going to the championship game, when out of nowhere, I felt a hand pull mine and drag me off the ice. when I looked, it was Adam.

"what are you doing?" I asked him. "follow me, I need to talk to you." he said.

I was confused. just yesterday he had looked at me as if I'd broken his heart, and now he wanted to talk? I didn't have a problem with it though; this was my chance to tell him how I felt now.

he led me into the empty locker room and we sat beside each other on the bench.

just then, Adam started to lean in to kiss me, but I quickly scooted away.

"what are you doing, Adam?" I questioned. "trying to apologize." he answered as he leaned in closer.

"what happened wasn't your fault." I blankly said. he leaned back, then grasped my hand, but I slowly pulled mine away. he gave me a confused look.

"what's wrong with you?" he asked.

"I don't know, this just... doesn't feel right." I said as I looked at the floor. I didn't want to see his reaction. "what? what do you mean?" he asked while he placed his hand under my chin and lifted it. I immediately looked back down.

"I mean, I don't know. I feel like we're meant to be... just friends." I said, quietly.

"Hallie, come on. you're kidding right?" he laughed. I looked back up from the floor and into his eyes.

"no."

he looked at me the same way he had yesterday at the game. he looked hurt, heartbroken, devastated.

"what did I do?" asked Adam. "nothing!" I quickly said. "it's my fault. I shouldn't have gotten myself into this hat trick."

"what?" he asked, confused.

"I shouldn't have ever caught feelings for you. I know that sounds harsh and all, but this has caused so much drama that it's distracted me from what I'm really here for; the game." I said, trying not to hurt his feelings too terribly much.

"I'm sorry." he said, holding back tears.

"stop it. don't start crying or I will too. it's not your fault, Adam. It's mine. I was so afraid to say these things to you, I don't want you to hate me. please don't hate me." I said, trying not to cry.

"Hallie, why would I hate you? you're one of the greatest things that's ever happened to me. if you just want to be friends, that's okay. as long as you're happy, I am too." he said, sniffling.

"good. I thought you would hate me because of this." I said as a few tears rolled down my cheeks.

"Hallie, I could never hate you. the past couple of days, when we weren't talking, were the most stressful days of my life. so that just proves that." he said. "mine too." I replied.

"you have no clue how happy I am that you understand." I continued. "I'll always be here for you. you won't have many other friends like me." said Adam with a grin while he rubbed his misty eyes.

"now come on. coach is probably wondering where we went." he giggled as we both stood up.

before we started to walk out, I gave Adam a long hug. just then, coach Bombay walked into the locker room.

"where the hell have you two b- and whAt the HELL are you two doinG?!" he shouted.

Adam and I quickly let go of each other and laughed. "it's not what it looks like coach." I giggled. "trust me." added Adam.

"um, alright. but ditching practice is not okay especially less than two days before the championship game, you hear?" said coach. "yes sir." Adam and I said in unison. coach left the locker room and we followed.

"c'mon, bestie." I giggled as I put my arm across Adam's shoulders. he laughed then did the same as we walked back to practice.

that night was one of the first nights I could actually sleep in days.

I went to bed wearing another one of Luis' sweatshirts, some cozy plaid pants, and my hair in a messy bun; just the way I liked it.

all my problems were solved. now, I had a best friend, a love interest, and a championship game to play in.

what's not to like?!