Prologue

"Serum release halted," a female voice booms. She did it. She saved Chicago. A sixteen year old! Who would've thought? The woman pondered. She walked forward, not really having any specific destination in mind. All she knew to do at this point was walk. She took a right turn, but regretted it instantly, as she was caught up in a parade of people rejoicing over this fact. They had been saved. They cheered, they roared, they laughed, they danced, they drank, they talked, they ate, they argued. They enjoyed themselves. After all, this was a feast. How this managed to slip her by, she didn't know. Maybe she was too busy to have noticed this event on the calendar. Whatever the reason, she wished she had noticed it so she wouldn't be enclosed in a crowd of sweaty bodies and loud, blaring music right now. Finally, she managed to wiggle her way out.

"Ms. Johnson?" a voice on the radio called. She put her index finger on it, pressing it further in her ear so she could hear it better over the roar of the people. "Yes?" she responded. "We have something you might like to see. Come to the infirmary immediately." Then, it was over. Unless her son was dead, what could possibly hold her interest now? Regardless, she made her way to the hospital, albeit with some boisterous dauntless in her way at times.

"What?" she called out once she arrived. "What would I like to see?" The nurses gathered at the bed moved over so she would have a clear visual. She braced herself for the worst, imagining Tobias in that bed, mangled to the point where he was unrecognizable. But instead, she was treated to a different sight. It was Tris. Tris Prior. She had two gunshot wounds. "What is this?" she asked. A doctor answered her question. "Tris Prior, Ms. Johnson. She's somehow still alive." "And?" she demanded. "Why do I care?" The doctor adjusted his skewed glasses and pushed his jet black hair up. His glasses were horn - rimmed black, in front of his ice - blue eyes. His white coat reached a few inches above his feet where he wore black leather shoes. His shirt was a few shades darker than his eyes, and from his neck dangled a stethoscope. "Because," he said. "we can save her." He paused. "If we do however, her memories will have to be erased." She pondered this for a moment. Tris would forget everything in her life. She wouldn't remember a thing. She wouldn't remember her family. She wouldn't remember saving Chicago. She wouldn't even remember Tobias. "And there's no other way?" she asked. The doctor shook his head. "I'm afraid not." "Then why are you asking me? Shouldn't it be Tobias you're asking?" The nurses and doctor stood still for a few moments. Finally, he spoke. "Should we inform Mr. Eaton?" he timidly inquired. "No," she quickly responded. This would only bring him more pain. "Then, what should we do?" Evelyn pondered this for a moment. She paced, albeit slowly, and thought. Finally, she stopped and turned toward the doctor. She had decided. She opened her mouth to speak.

11 Years Later

Evelyn slowly approached the sleeping woman. It seemed silly to call her a girl at this point, after all she had been through. In a few minutes, she would be sent off to California. Tris would be handled like the others who lost their memories that day. Only, her entire profile would be a lie. The ones who had lost their memories would be treated to professionals who would find out about their lives and who they were. Tris wouldn't have the same treatment. Her new name would be Amber Daniels. She would be among the people who's memories were wiped by the gas that day. Her parents had died in a car crash when she was a baby. She spent her life with the Erudite, her aunt having taken care of her her whole life. But unfortunately, her aunt had died when an experiment went tragically wrong. Her rent would paid until she could afford to do it herself. One of the ex factionless would be the manager of her apartment to keep an eye on her. He would be one of the few who were in on the secret. Evelyn then wondered if she really was doing the right thing. Keeping a secret like this from her only son. Her only child, actually. Especially when he was so deeply in love with her. She shook it off. Tobias was nothing if not a survivor. He would eventually move on, find a woman, marry, have children, all that happily ever after crap she'd never had, never believed in. Her son would have a better future. She smiled at the thought of her grandchildren running up to her, laughing. Tobias hand in hand with the new love of his life.