Wendy the Waitress

Tobias

"No, Chris. Absolutely not!" I bark at her. "Oh, come on! She's athletic, can lift weights some men can't, super cool, has an impeccable taste in fashion," she added. I rolled my eyes. Chris just llllloooooooovvvvvvvveeeeeeeeddddddd fashion. "Is rich, blonde, has muscles, hazel eyes, and ambition. Plus, she's pretty." Chris had been trying to get me a date ever since last year. And she had. A few. Well, 15. But none of them were right for me. I looked over to Chris's phone. Her name was, "Rachel Gonzalez". While she was pretty, she was too . . . well, . . . muscular. And usually, muscular people are self - absorbed. I have had experience with them. I'm muscular, true, but not as athletic or muscular or anything like her. She wouldn't be a good fit for me. I made these points to Chris.

"What are you? A misogynist? Women can't be as awesome as men?" she snapped at me. I sighed. Whenever I spoke my thoughts, . . . it always backfired. Part of the reason I never told anyone about the years of abuse. "No, they can be. It's just that . . ., she's not meant for me," I replied. Christina rolled her eyes. "Come on, dude. Tris died almost thirteen years ago. Get over her. She's never coming back. Doesn't mean you shouldn't be happy. After all -," she immediately stopped. I froze. I hadn't heard or thought or spoke that name for almost 2 years now. I had almost forgotten who she was. It was really helping me move on. Don't get me wrong, I would always remember her. But, it was easier to keep those memories at the back of my head. Chris knew this. She was the one who was helping me.

Now, memories of Tris so long suppressed to the back of my mind pushed themselves forward to the front of my thoughts with extreme force. Tris. Why did she have to leave? She was the only one who really knew me. Better than my mom. Well, I guess they were tied. But, she wouldn't normally reprimand me for speaking my mind. Rather, she somewhat encouraged it. There were times she didn't like it, like the time she wanted to sacrifice herself at the Bureau. But, she still did it anyways. Then, happy memories of us came back to me. Tears started to cloud my vision, but I forced them away. I will not cry. I will not cry. I will not cry. I kept repeating that to myself. Then, the elevator doors opened. Chris and I were in an elevator since I was going to a meeting revolving around the restoration of laws in the U.S. This included the leaders so far, like my mom and I, to name a few.

I adjusted my tie so it was perfect and straightened my suit. "Goodbye, Chris," I said, not looking at her, but ahead. Then, I left.

"Alright gentleman, this meeting is over. Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to come here. You may return to your conventional duties," my mother concluded. Everyone stood up and left. We were bringing back laws like drinking under 21 is illegal, don't drive drunk, stuff like that. Nothing too serious. We were still just getting started. The last 2 and a half years had been spent on the restoration of the United States. It no longer looked apocalyptic. Now that that was over, we had to do something about the laws. Like I said though, this process just started not too long ago, so we decided on some laws, not all. The next meeting would be in a 2 weeks. I walked over to my mother. She took a deep breath in, then exhaled. Not looking at me, she asked, "How do you think I did?" "Oh, fine. I think you nailed it," I answered her. She turned to me. "Really? Don't spare my feelings, son," she said, still anxious. I chuckled. "No, I'm serious. You were great. There's nothing to worry about," I reassured her. She allowed a small smile, something rare since she almost never displayed her emotions. She checked her watch. "Great. Well, I have to go. I'll see you later?" I nodded. "Yup." She bent my head down, kissed me on the forehead, and left, her high heels clacking in the hall. No matter how intimidating she seemed, she was still 5'5. I smiled to myself and left.

Chris was sitting outside the meeting room. She immediately got up as soon as she saw me. "Four!" she called out and ran to me, arms outstretched. She hugged me. "I'm so sorry," she apologized. I hugged her back. She was so small.