The Good Stepmother

Tobias

      I awoke the next morning to find Wendy sleeping peacefully on top of me. She appeared to have a slight smile on her face and I smiled back as I ran my fingers through her curly brown hair. The morning light illuminated over her, prompting her to look like an angel. It was only then that the situation hit me. What were we going to do about this? It was our first date last night! Sure people can hook up after the first date but they most never date after. And Wendy seemed like an amazing person, one I would want to have next to me as I wake every day. One I'd want to share my laughter and soul with. She was just incredible. But, did she feel the same about me?

*Christina*

      I paced back and forth, driving Jason crazy in the process. He hated how I could do it with ease while he got dizzy attempting even the slightest effort of pacing back and forth. I grinned to myself and allowed my gaze to settle on the clock. It was 10:49 AM. It has been 13 hours since Tobias left, and I was starting to get anxious. What if she was just another Charlotte? What if they were kidnapped? What if, oh stop it, Christina! You're overreacting. What, did you get Tris's imagination overnight?

      Tris. I halted abruptly, obtaining an eyebrow raise from a confused Jason. Why, she always had such an overactive imagination, didn't she? I chuckled to myself, bewildering Jason even more. He probably thought I was going crazy, but that was the least of my worries for the moment. My mind started to envision what life would be like if Tris hadn't died. Would Jason have been born? Would Tris and Tobias be married by now, or would they have broken up and gone their separate ways? And if they had, who would I stick with? I must've thought this over for a while because Jason had already withdrawn from the living room, most likely out of pure boredom. He got bored faster than a race car could drive. Tris, I thought. I would stick with Tris. I mean, don't get me wrong, Tobias is one of my best friends, if not my best, it's just, Tris was there with me through thick and thin. She was the truest friend anyone could ask for. And, well, she wasn't as austere as Tobias, not that he was super super strict, but nothing like Jason. Although, Tris's jokes would make me cringe. At least Tobias can be funny when he intends. Tobias! I totally forgot about him! Where was he? What was he doing? Was he alright? Was he in any danger? What was taking him so long? Why can't he be here right this instant?!

      As if to answer my prayers, the door unlocked, and in stepped Tobias.

Jason

      I sat on the countertop swinging my legs forward and back, given I couldn't pace without fancying removing my body of it's previous meal. I had no idea why this happened to me, but I guess it will forever be one of the unsolved mysteries of the universe. Where's Dad, and what's he doing? I gave these questions some thought. Maybe it turned out Wendy was an alien and she took him to her home planet for testing! Yes! And maybe, Dad being the man he is, escaped and found himself in unfamiliar terrain. So, the land being unknown to him, he must've bumped into a T - Rex and is now in the middle of a fight to the death!

      "Don't worry, I'll save you Father," I yelled as I raised my hand in the air. I took a towel from the kitchen, tied it to the back of my shirt as a cape, and charged upstairs, ready for battle. But first, I needed weapons. No T - Rex was going to devour my dad while I was still kicking. Also, I'm very well read on dinosaurs, so, not to brag but, I am sort of an expert on this. Christina didn't seem to notice any of this, which was fine. Some people are just not cut out for battle. As I gathered my plastic swords and foam shields, I pondered over what Christina might be in a story like this. She'd probably be the damsel in distress. Don't get me wrong, I'm feminism all the way, but she didn't exactly freak out when I discovered Dad's situation or when I started preparing for battle. The T - Rex would be the dragon, Dad would be the sidekick that always managed to get into trouble. I laughed at that. Ah, my sidekick. So clueless, yet so faithful. Elijah then ambled into my room and lay down. I smiled at him. "And you, my charming friend," I said as I sat down next to him and cupped his furry, golden, oversized face in my hands. "You'll be my loyal steed!" He whined a bit. Immediately, he lifted his head, nose held aloft. "What is it boy, is the alien near us?" I asked, on full guard, watching his and my back. He darted out of the room and towards the front door, barking bloody murder. Sprinting after him, I noticed I'd have to go down the stairs. But, why not be colorful with it? So, putting my shield under me, I slid down the stairs all the while screaming my battle cry and beat Elijah to the bottom of the stairs. Quickly recuperating myself, I charged at the door and swung it open, raising my sword and shield at whoever dared stand against me. It was Dad! He might've been surprised if he hadn't grown used to my courageous adventures. He smiled and ruffled my hair. "Good morning to you too," he said. I lowered my sword and shield and shrugged my shoulders. It's a miracle that he can put up with me.