Strange Arrangement (Mayer Hawthorne)

Jhoana.

We won. We got it- the 7th place. 

That's why we're here at Aracama celebrating our victory. We were joined by other players from the other nations making the bar hectic and full. 

I was holding my 3rd Sriracha and had decided to halt in front of the rails of the rooftop to stare at the overwhelming site of the city. I thought of her and of the night we had shared. 

It was blissful, I guess. 

LAST NIGHT

"How was your day?" She was slowly taking a slice of her Sour Cream Walnut Coffee Cake. 

"We had a game." I playfully answered her. 

She looked at me quite abashed. Iniripan ako. "Of course I know that. How did your day go after the game?" With quite the emphasis on 'after'.

"Wala naman. Bumalik lang kami sa hotel. I fell asleep; lahat naman yata kami. Pero pagkagising ko, wala na sina Ate Ella. Hanggang dinner time, hindi na kami nagkita." Kapag naaalala ko na naman 'yung pag-iwan nila sa akin. 

"Julia and Ate Ells went out without you? That's new." She took a sip of her Mocha Bellaccino before continuing, "I mean, you three were never not together." 

"Eh, they didn't want me to join them. Mas gusto na nila kasama si Riri ngayon." I took a sip of my own Raspberry flavored Bellaccino. The drink is good just not enough para kalimutan ko ang pang-iindian sa akin ng mga kaibigan ko. 

"Well, Ate Ella would most likely do that. You know: choose Riri over you." She was saying it as if it's a common knowledge. Paano nalaman ni Bea? 

As if reading my mind, she continued. "Riri knows, she told me. They're even textmates, didn't you know that?" 

No, I don't. Aba't talaga namang madami nang sikreto mga kaibigan ko sa akin ngayon. Una, 'yung kay Ju at kay Bea. Ngayon kay Donya Ella naman at kay Riri? What's wrong with these people? Ano ba'ng naging kasalanan ko sa kanila?

I took a long and slow bite of my White Chocolate Coconut Cream Coffee Cake as if it would make things better. 

"Looks like you've been missing out a lot on them, Jho. And you call yourself their friend?" She was shaking her head sideways while laughing slightly. Tingnan mo 'tong taong 'to, kita mong upset na nga ako pinagtatawanan pa ako. What a great friend. 

"Kasalanan mo 'to." I frowned and rise to lean on an elbow.

"How is it my fault?" She asked totally surprised. 

"Palagi raw kitang kasama. Wala na raw akong oras para sa kanila. Mga gano'n." Bakit ang dali lang i-open kay Bea 'yung mga ganitong bagay? Siguro kasi alam kong maiintindihan naman n'ya. 

"Wow, you have such clingy friends." She remarked.

"Yes, I do. And excuse me, kaibigan mo rin naman sila." I mean kahit naman hindi sila close, magkakaibigan pa rin sila. Sus. Ex pa nga n'ya 'yung isa eh. 

"I mean, they're your best friends. They should know better than to make you feel caged." She paused. "They should not make you feel like you're not allowed to make friends with others na." 

"Hindi ba gano'n sa'yo si Maddie?" And before I realized what I just did, it was rather too late. Nagbago ang timpla ng mukha ni Bea. She flinched at something. 

Bumuntong hininga s'ya nang dalawang beses bago kinuha ang kanyang tinidor. She didn't even bother going back to her food or more importantly to talking. She just stayed quiet.