Track 29: The Love that We Stole (Bear's Den)

Jhoana.

Econ went on. And on. And on much to my dismay.

It was hell. After ako tawagin ni Bea to graph on the board, hindi na ako nakapag-concentrate. Maddie had been the opposite of helpful as she tried distracting Bea by calling the latter's cellphone.

Bea had to excuse herself twice just to get those fake calls from Maddie.

Jusko masama pala epekto kay Maddie kapag hindi nag-uumagahan.

Or I don't know, it must be the UP shirt.

Thank god Ate Ella was already waiting outside the classroom to fetch me. Mabilis ako nakaalis sa room. Ayoko na mag-stay sa perimeter ni Bea nang matagal.

"You're not gonna leave me," Maddie was too fast to catch us.

"Hay nako, Maddie. After what you did during class? Iiwan talaga kita." I tried to act annoyed.

"I did it for you. Thank me." She simply said. "Ate Ella, tell Jho I'm not bad."

"Bakit, ano ba'ng ginawa ni Maddie?"

"Eh, kasi—" I was cut short by Bea's arriving form. Ugh. Eto na nga sinasabi ko kaya ako nagmamadali eh.

"Oh, si Bea. Ano'ng nangyayari bakit kayo magkakasama sa klase?"

"Pa-impress kasi 'yung isa d'yan e." Maddie said almost too loudly to Bea. Bea stopped in front of us.

"Says the girl who could not even tell the difference between nominal GDP and real GDP." Bea told Maddie. "And you call yourself an Econ major?"

"Ay sorry, I'm not the type kasi to go to New York to join some nerd econ contests." Maddie was rolling her eyes so hard it was almost too funny.

"Why are you wearing a UP shirt?" Bea asked non-sequitir.

"Why are you wearing your face?" I was not able to help it. I started laughing at Maddie's childishness.

I was laughing so hard that I didn't notice they were all looking at me. Including Bea.

They were all watching me as if I've grown two heads.

"What?" I asked them.

"W-wala naman, Jho," Ate Ella was scratching her neck. "It's just that, it's the first time in a long time na narinig ko ulit 'yung tawa mo."

My laughter was faded down by a heave. I swallowed hard and looked elsewhere. "Ako rin, eh. Na-miss ko rin marinig 'yung sarili ko na ganito kasaya."

I looked back and searched for Bea's eyes. She likes it—being searched. We marveled at that moment.

We were all quiet for a while.

"Babalik na lang pala muna ako sa dorm to get some things." Maddie said out of the silence.

"Akala ko sasama ka sa amin mag-breakfast?" Ate Ella asked her.

"Nah. I'm good. Jho brought me one." Maddie waved her bag in front of us.

"Nicole brought you one." I corrected her and she blushed again.

"Ay, kayo na ulit, Maddie?" Ate Ella inquired.

"Nicole?" Bea's brows were furrowed as she interrupted us. She was finally talking to me directly. "What were you doing together?"