Mustang

A gorgeous jet black mustang stood a few feet in front of me. His neck was slender and the legs long and powerful. The mane fell down his neck and the black forelock covered his forehead.

I  barely breathed as I took in the beautiful animal standing a few feet in front of me. The horse snorted again and pawed the grass. I forced myself to remain calm. I'd once read in a book that horses can sense when your nervous, but I was anything but nervous. I'd never seen a horse so beautiful. It was obvious that he was the leader of this herd. I carefully unzipped my bag set it on the ground and pulled out my red apple. The horse watched me silently, never taking his eyes off me. I stretched out my hand and held out the red apple. He stretched his neck without moving. I could tell that he wanted the apple, but he was nervous.

"You want it?" I asked. The horse just tossed his head. I smiled. "I know you want it. I won't hurt you. Your going to have to trust me on this."
After another two whole minutes I was sure he wasn't going to come forward. My arm was aching. Just I was about to lower my arm the horse took a tentative few steps forward. A few seconds later he walked forward and took the apple from my hand. His tongue was wet and rough as it brushed against my palm. As he was crunching the apple i slowly raised my hand. My hand was a few inches from his muzzle when he turned and suddenly trotted away. I lowered my hand. "I'll call you Spirit," I said as I watched him galloping down the hill with his tail held high.

I quickly grabbed my backpack and pulled out my phone again. I managed to get a picture of Spirit galloping away. I watched as he led the herd away. I couldn't believe how close id gotten . I grabbed my backpack and started to run back towards the ranch. On the way back I kept tripping over tree roots and hidden rocks. Finally after thirty minutes I emerged on the trail behind the stables.

"Dad!" I called. I ran towards house. I stuck my head inside and yelled, "Dad! Are you here?" No answer. I dropped my backpack inside and ran towards the stables. I passed Alison who was holding a basket in her hands. "Where's my dad?" I asked. "He's in the stables," she replied. I quickly ran towards the stables. Rob and Tom were standing outside talking. "Dad!" I called. Robert looked up. "Kate you're back early. How was the hike?" I paused for a few seconds to catch my breath. "Ya it was good. Dad I saw the most beautiful horse. He was on a hill and..." Robert held up a gloved hand. "You saw a black mustang?" I nodded. Rob and Tom exchanged a look.

"What?" I asked  impatiently. Tom smiled. "We've seen that horse a couple of times." My eyes widened. "Really?" Robert nodded. "He's a wild one. You need to be careful. Nobody's ever been close to him." I smiled. "I have. Dad I even fed him." Tom laughed. "Kate did you hit your head?" I glared at him. "No." I pulled out my phone and showed them the pictures.
Robert's eyes widened. "Kate you could have gotten hurt." I put my phone back in my pocket. "But I didn't." I can't wait to see him again."

Tom watched us silently. "Kate that horse is wild. It's best you forget that horse." I looked down. "You can ride one of these horses," said Robert as he turned and walked away. Tom followed.

I sighed. Fine. I was going to show them. I could ride Spirit. I walked back to the house. After showering I sat on my bed looked at the pictures id taken. That horse really was beautiful, but I didn't know a thing about taming wild horses. I could ask Tom but he'd probably tell my dad.

Dinner was silent. I was still kinda angry at my dad. He could have at least given me a chance but instead he chose to treat me like a twelve year old. Alison was talking to Robert about the vegetables she'd planted in the back, behind the house. I ignored them both and ate my dinner silently. A few minutes later I stood up and put my dishes in the sink. I felt Robert's eyes on me.

I walked outside. The night air was cool and crisp. I saw Tom walking towards red pickup truck. "Tom!" I called. He looked up. "Hey Kate." I walked towards him. "I need your help." Tom smiled. "Uh oh is this about that mustang?" "Yes and no. Tom I need you to teach me how to ride again." Tom looked at me seriously. "You're not planning on riding that mustang are you Kate?" I looked away. "Tom please I need your help. All you need to do is teach me how to ride." Tom remained silent for a moment. "Alright but if your dad asks you didn't learn from me." I hugged him. "Thank you thank you!" Laughing Tom returned the hug. "Alright I'd better go." He tipped his Cowboys hat me. I watched him drive away then I turned and walked back inside the house.

Robert and Alison were sitting on the couch in the living room watching tv. Alison looked up. "Kate wanna watch some tv?" With some difficulty I managed not to role my eyes. "I'm tired. I'm going to bed." "Night sweetie," called Robert. "Night dad," I mumbled. If he found out my plane to ride Spirit he'd kill me. But right now I didn't care. All I cared about was seeing Spirit again. After changing into my pajamas I sat down on my bed and transferred Spirit's pictures from my phone to my laptop. After playing my favorite online horse game Star Stable, I fell asleep.