A new school

I was sleeping peacefully, snuggled in my quilt when I felt a hand roughly shake my shoulder. Was it 9 o'clock already? I groaned and buried my face under the blanket. "Kate get up." It was my dad.

I groaned. "Leave me alone. You said i could sleep in today." I heard him moving around my room. A second later the curtains were pulled back and sunshine filled the room. I sat up. "Dad please," I whined.
"Kate I expect you downstairs in 5 minutes." He left closing the door. "At least tell me where we're going!" I called. Yawning I dragged myself out of my warm and comfy bed, towards the bathroom.

I brushed my teeth and washed my face. Assuming we were going to get some horse feed or some garden supplies, I pulled on a jeans short, a white tank top and my boots. After I quick brush I decided to leave my hair down for today.

Still grumbling I walked downstairs. As usual Robert and Alison were both wide awake. I slumped into my chair and closed my eyes.
"Kate why are you so sleepy?" Robert asked. I shrugged. "Didn't you go to bed at eleven yesterday?" Alison asked from beside the stove.

"Of course I did!" I snapped. Robert frowned. Truth was I didn't go to sleep at 11:00 pm. After making sure everyone was asleep I had gone downstairs, outside to the pasture where Spirit was. For three nights in a row I've been trying mount Spirit. Which resulted in a few bruises and going to bed late. Robert wasn't aware of this.
If he was he'd kill me.

Alison was still watching me. I ignored her and drank my cup of orange juice. Robert looked from me to Alison. "Did you go to sleep at eleven last night?" I rolled my eyes. Instead of answering my dad I turned to Alison.

"So what if I didn't sleep at eleven? It's none of your business when I decide sleep. You're not my mother you can't tell me what to do."
Alison looked shocked. "Kate honey that's not what I meant." Before she could finish Robert cut in. "Kate apologize now!"
I glared at him. Robert slammed his fist onto the table. "Now!" I stood up. "I won't apologize for speaking the truth." I turned and was about to head upstairs when Robert called, "Kate get in the truck!"
I grabbed my hoodie from the living room and went outside, slamming the screen door behind me.

Once outside I stalked towards the truck. "Who does she think she is? Stupid Alison thinking she can tell me what to do," I muttered angrily.
"Someone woke up grouchy this morning." I looked up. Tom was walked towards me.

I sighed. "Morning Tom." Tom
tipped his cowboys hat. "Morning Kate. So why are you so upset?" I quickly explained about Alison. I expected Tom to praise me instead he shook his head. Irritated, I asked, "what?"
Tom looked towards the house. "Kate I think your being a little too impolite." I opened my mouth to argue but Tom held up his hand.

"I know your going to say she can never replace your mother and perhaps that's true. But she cares for you Kate. She was a wreck when she heard you were coming. She wanted you to feel at home, loved. Alison's done everything she can for you. The least you can do is show her some appreciation and respect."

Tom tipped his hat again and left, leaving me
stunned and somewhat ashamed. The front door opened and Rob stalked towards me the truck keys in his hands.

"Get in," he said. I clenched my jaw. Guess apologizing was going to have to wait. Making sure I had my phone I opened the front passengers seat. Rob was silent as he backed out. I caught a glimpse of Spirit galloping around in the pasture with his beautiful tail held high. I smiled.

We drove past our ranch sign, up the dirt road onto the main road. Robert was silent. I guess he was waiting for me to speak. The silence was uncomfortable so I decided to listen to some music. Still sleepy I put on my headphones and closed my eyes.

I must have dozed off. When I opened my eyes I found that we had stopped in front of a red-light in the town. Robert was still silent. I couldn't take anymore of this silence. I pulled out my headphones and said, "I'm sorry for talking to Alison like that." Robert glanced at me.

"She was just trying to help, Kate. You shouldn't have talked to her like that." Great. I felt the guilt retuning.
"I know. I'll apologize to her when we get back." Robert nodded but didn't say anything. The light turned green and Robert started the truck.
"Where are we going?" I asked as we passed McDonald's.

"Now Kate don't get worked up." I blinked. "Worked up? About what?" Robert sighed. "I'm taking you to Rivers high school." I laughed. "Really dad?" Robert looked at me. "No I'm serious. School starts in 2 more months and I need to sign you up."

My jaw dropped. "But I thought I was going to be home schooled. Uncle Thomas said I was going to be homeschooled?" Robert shook his head. "No Kate. You won't be home schooled. Instead we've decided to send you to this public school."

"But who will take care of Spirit?" Rob took a left. Here both side of the road were covered in trees. Ahead I saw a sign that read Rivers public School. "We'll figure that out later. But for now your education is more important."
"I could teach myself," I argued. School was important to me but i couldn't leave Spirit. He never responds to anyone but me.

This time Robert took a right and entered a large parking lot. Up ahead just beyond the parking lot was a huge white building. Atop the building in large letters read Rivers High School. My stomach felt queasy. This was going to be new school.

~Do you think Kate will like her new school? Also i made up the school and the schools name. So for real idk if there is a school called Rivers high school.