The competition

Pic from Flicka 3^^Most of the pics I'm using are from Flicka 3.

I went to sleep early that night feeling really nervous. I awoke the next morning. The nervous feeling hadn't subsided. To calm my nerves I decided to take a warm shower.

As I waited for the water to turn warm I checked my texts. I had one from Jacob.
"You ready?" I smiled slightly. Of course I was ready but I was stop really nervous. I sent him a quickly reply before showering. After drying my hair I put on the clothes Ms Moore had sent to us yesterday. A white shirt a black jacket to wear over the shirt, white breeches, and my black boots. I tired my hair into a braid, grabbed my riding helmet and gloves and walked downstairs.

Alison and Robert were sitting down at the kitchen table drinking coffee and eating their breakfast. "Morning." Robert looked up. "Morning Kate. The outfit looks good on you." Alison nodded.
I sat down and begun to eat my cinnamon cereal. "Is Spirit ready to go?"
Robert said, "He is. Tom is taking care of him." My dad had been against my decision to ride Spirit in the beginning. He argued and argued, but once he learned I was serious he gave up.

I quickly finished my breakfast. Setting my plate in the sink I said, "I'll go make sure everything is ready." Pulling on my boots I walked outside. I saw my dad's truck ready to go with the trailer behind. In the sunlight Spirit's coat gleamed. His mane and tail were also groomed. As I got closer I saw Tom was having difficulty getting Spirit in.

The trailer! I'd completely forgotten about it. Spirit's last experience hadn't been pleasant. Spirit gave a angry whinny and reared. Tom let go of the halter and dodged his hooves. I ran to Spirit. "Whoa boy easy!"

Spirit continued to angrily paw the air. I grabbed his halter and gently gave a tug. "Tom do you have a treat?" Tom who looked pale nodded and pulled a carrot from his pocket.

Spirit's nostrils quivered. I held out the carrot. A few seconds later he walked over and took it from my hand. Within seconds he was back to the gentle Spirit I had come to know. I stroked his forehead and looked at Tom. "What are we going to do?"

Before Tom could respond Robert and Alison walked out onto the porch. Tom waved them over.
"Kate we'd better get going. The competition starts in an hour."
I was getting desperate. "Dad I know but we have a problem. Spirit won't go into the trailer. Unless you want me to ride him there, we have to do something."

Alison shook her head. "Kate you can't ride him there. Tom just had him groomed."
I groaned. Spirit had wandered a few feet away and was grazing obvious to our distress.

Robert took off his hat and ran a hand through his hair. "I'll take care of him. Help Tom get the tack in the back of the truck."
Before I could respond. Tom shook his head. "Come on Kate." I followed him. Looking back I saw Robert approach Spirit who was watching him warily.

A few minutes later we returned with the saddle, saddle pad, leg wraps, bridle and the breastplate. My jaw dropped as I saw Spirit had put one foot inside the trailer. Robert was stroking his neck and gently speaking to him. A few seconds later he led Spirit in.

Robert quickly came out. "How did you do that?" I asked. "Later Kate. He's still a little nervous. Do you think you could ride with him tell we get there?" I nodded. I filled my pocket with treats before walking into the trailer.

Spirit kept turning his head. His ears were flat against his head. I quietly talked to him as Robert started the truck. I gave him a few sugar cubes. Spirit munched on them and seemed to forget the trailer.

Twenty minutes later we arrived at the show jumping competition. Ms. Moore had told me that they always set the jumping competitions in this field which belong to Brianna's father.

I saw huge stable in the distance. White tents had been set up and a mini stand was on the far right side behind where the judges sat seated at a white table.

Robert pulled up to the stables. He helped me get Spirit out. We lead him to a stall that was labeled Spirit. Beside his stall was Jacob's horse a beautiful bay Appaloosa named Celestia. Spirit tossed his hair and held his head high as we him led inside the stall, which was covered in fresh hay.

Tom and Alison brought in his equipment. Rob helped me get Spirit ready. Spirit who seemed to be suddenly fond of Robert nudged his shoulder. Robert leaned over and stroked his muzzle. Alison gave him a pat on the neck.

I smiled. "He likes you guys." Tom scratched his head. "He's a big horse."

"Hey Kate!" I looked up. Jacob was walking towards me wearing the same riding outfit. "Where are Brianna and Olivia?" Jacob looked back. "They're walking their horse around the obstacles. I already did. You want me to help you with Spirit?" I thought of Brianna and all the people waiting. "I don't think that would be a good idea besides I think Spirit likes Celestia."

Jacob grinned. "Ya She's a good horse." Before I could respond, we heard another pair of footsteps. Looking back we saw Captain Ned.
He whistled when he saw Spirit. "He sure is a beauty." Robert looked up. "Time to mount up. Brianna is first then Jeremy from the other team." He turned and walked away.

Jacob looked at Spirit. "My parents and little sister are in the stands. I'd better go. Well, good luck Kate."
"Ya you too." "I'll lead Spirit out just incase."
Tom and Alison walked past us. "I'm sure you guys will win good luck." She leaned in and gave me a hug. I stiffened for a few seconds before returning the hug.

I mounted Spirit. Jacob smiled at me and led Celestia out. Robert grabbed the reins and led Spirit out. We walked towards the judges. I heard a few people taking pictures. Spirit seemed quite. We stood at the edge beside Brianna, Olivia and Ms. Moore. Robert patted my leg. "Good luck." He turned and walked back to the stands.

Ms. Moore walked back and forth in front of us. She smiled slightly. "You have been good students. Even if we don't win today. You all are winners. So good luck and remember the course." We all nodded.

I stroked Spirit's neck as the commentary announced Jeremy from the Wolfside school.
All together the jumps were about 13. Most of them poles, solid gates and two walls.

Jake competed the first round. Brianna was next. She held her high as she rode her white Filly. Brianna completed the jumps course without any faults. Next was a girl from the Wolfside school. Her horse knocked down one pole.
Jacob was next. He led Celestia through the jumps without any faults.

Jacob grinned as he finished all the jumps.
Another girl from Wolfside then it was Olivia. I was starting to get nervous again. I barley paid attention to any of the commentaries.
Finally Olivia was done. And finally the last guy from Wolfside finished.

"Next up we have Kate Harrison from Riverside riding Spirit."
I heard a few people gasp in surprise. I didn't blame them, Spirit was a beauty.

I took a deep breath. Spirit seemed completely calm. I gripped the reins and leaned over his neck. Spirit started with a canter as we got closer to the first jump i squeezed nudged his sides.

He cantered and bunched up his legs and sailed clean over the pole. The next few jumps were just the same. We completed the all jumps, the last two walls, 14 and 15 the only ones left. Spirit cantered even faster I felt his muscles strain as he bunched up his legs. He jumped clean over 14 then 15.

"Kate finished the fastest time with 2 minutes and 10 seconds. Team Riverside wins with no faults!" The commentary announced. I dismounted and gave Spirit a pat on the neck. "We did it. We won."

Kate's team won and Ms Moore is proud of her students. Spirit managed to remain calm and finished the course. Hope u guys enjoyed this chapter. There's one chapter left.