Free

Spirit stopped beside Jacob's car. Jacob dismounted. "What are you going to do?" He asked. I stroked Spirit's neck. "I have to get him into the mountains. No one will find him there."
Jacobs's mouth hung open. "It's too dark. You can't see."
I smiled. "But Spirit can." Jacob sighed. "So you have your phone at least?" My eyes widened. I'd left my phone at home. How could I have been so stupid? I shook my head. "I left it at home. Thank you for helping me Jacob. You go home and I'll take care of Spirit."

Before Jacob could respond I nudged Spirit into a gallop. He immediately galloped towards the trees on the left side. A few seconds later Jacob drove past us. His window was down. "They're getting into their cars you'd better hurry." I gripped the reins with my right and, using my left I waved at Jacob, indicating that I understood.

I bent low over Spirit's neck and whispered in his ear, "come on boy we need to get you out of here." Spirit's speed increased as the line of trees came into view. The wind whipped his black mane in my face. I bent my head down and buried my face in his neck.

It was up to Spirit now. He was going whereever he wanted, all I had to do was hold on. I felt his legs bunch together as he jumped over something I couldn't see. I nearly slipped sideways of him but I quickly straightened up again.

Maybe I should pay attention to where he was going.

It seemed like hours later, Spirit continued galloping. The moon had risen high in the starry night sky. Spirit's breath came out in white puffs of air and I was shivering. I couldn't make out anything, except the outlines of trees. A little far off I heard the unmistakable sound of a stream. Every once in awhile Spirit would slow down, stop and listen. Then he would take off in a different direction.

This happened several times, till I assumed he was looking for his herd. I decided to rest my eyes for a bit.
I woke hours later still clinging to tight to the reins. My body was sore and my fingers stiff. I should have brought gloves. I realized Spirit had stopped. He was standing still. The moon was low and dawn was not far off.

Spirit was standing on a low rocky cliff. Shrubs and bits of grass surrounded the area. I dismounted and put a hand on his slender neck.
Spirit turned towards me. I leaned against his shoulder. "It's okay boy your safe now. I won't ever let anyone harm you again."

Suddenly Spirit's ears twitched. His body tensed. Something I couldn't see or hear was making him uncomfortable. Spirit pawed the rocky ground. I strained my ears for something, anything but I couldn't hear anything.

I took a step forward and looked down. I could barley make out the lights of the town far, far away. It was colder now, but the sky was slowly brightening. Dawn was here.

With a flick of his tail Spirit turned and headed down. I quickly grabbed the reins and hoisted myself up. Spirit slowly picked his way down amongst the rocks.

Robert's POV

"I can't believe she would pull a stunt like that!" I shouted. Alison who was sitting on the couch in her nightgown said, "Robert calm down!"

I stopped pacing and said, "my daughter is missing, she stole someone's horse and your telling me to calm down?" Alison stood up and walked right up to me. "Spirit is Kate's horse not Richard's! Kate loves him and Spirit loves her!"

I sighed and looked away from her. "Alison please I don't wanna hear any of this bullshit. You were the one that let her go!" Alison remained silent then she silently turned walked back up the stairs.

Great now id insulted my wife. I was about to go up and apologize when my phone rang.
I immediately answered. "Mr Richards? Any news? My daughter is missing and no one saw which way they headed! What about Ned? Okay thank you I'll be there."

Where was Kate headed? She was all alone in the woods with that wild mustang. I opened the front door and called for Tom.
A few minutes passed and Tom came running towards me, fully dressed. "Get the truck we're going to find Kate."

The chapters to come are more interesting. Where do you think Kate and Spirit are headed. Do you think Robert will succeed in finding them?