An outing

Picture of Ned Mcgivens^^ive always pictured Matt Letscher's character Captain Love, in the movie Mask of Zorro as Ned.

The next few days passed quickly for me. Alison had talked to Robert and he'd let me go to the lessons on the condition id never ride Spirit again. I told him what he wanted to hear but I wasn't going to give up riding Spirit. The lessons were going well expect that Brianna hated me more than ever. I think it has something to do with my jumping skills or that Jacob and I were becoming friends?

Brianna was the least of my problems. I enjoyed the lessons so I ignored her but she was determined to make me look ridiculous. I overhead her talking to Olivia on how to make me look stupid so that Jacob would lose interest. After that I was careful to check my horse tack before every lesson.

One day however, Ms. Moore paired me up with Brianna. We were out in the open fields behind her house. We were supposed to take a lap around the field, just trotting. We silently trotted around the field. Brianna glanced at me and said, "listen Kate I don't like how this is going. We got off to a bad start and I'm sorry." I almost pulled my horse to a stop. Brianna continued obvious to my shock. "I'm sorry Kate and I'd like us to be friends. I know Jacob is trying to be nice to you and I'm sorry I've been so jealous. I've been behaving rather rude."

I cleared my throat." Well it's okay Brianna. We can be friends." Brianna smiled at me. "Great how about we go to the mall after this and watch a movie. Me you and Olivia?"
I nodded, "sure." I didn't know what else to say. This whole thing was rather suspicious. We finally returned and dismounted. Ms. Moore nodded. Her way of saying we did a good job.

A groom appeared and took the horse's reins. I still wasn't used to someone taking the horse I rode and taking care of her. I usually took care of the horses myself.

Finally class ended and Brianna promised to pick me up in two hours. I pondered her words as I walked to the truck. Was she being serious? She seemed serious when she apologized. Maybe I should give her a chance.

I didn't like being enemies and I hoped she was right about being friends. "Hey dad can I go and hang out with Brianna and Olivia today?" Robert turned to me. "Sure why not? But with Brianna?" I grinned. "Ya she wants to be friends." Robert nodded. "Sure as long as your home by 10:00 pm." I nodded. Thirty minutes later we arrived home and I ran upstairs to get ready.

I took a quick I shower then decided to wear black jeans shorts and and a white button up. I curled a bit of my auburn hair into soft waves. Instead of my boots I pulled on my black converse shoes. Alison looked up at me. "Where you going? Aren't you hungry?"

"No," I said as I slung my bag over my left shoulder. I opened the door and ran towards the barn. Spirit stood in his stall. He gave a low whinny. I smiled. "Hey boy," I pulled out a few sugar cubes from my bag and held them out for him.

Spirit crunched on the cubes as i rubbed his muzzle. Fifteen minutes later I heard the honk of a car. "I'll see you later Spirit," I kissed his forehead then walked towards the car.

Brianna opened the door of her white convertible. "Come on Kate." I walked in and sat down. I noticed she had a driver. Brianna was wearing a simple white dress with sunglasses in her Straight blonde hair. She had light make up on. Olivia was wearing a blue jeans short and black t-shirt. Both of them wore sneakers.

"Well eat at the mall," said Brianna as the driver backed out.
We spend the hour in the car talking. Brianna was actually nice and so was Olivia, but I was still cautious.

We finally arrived at the mall and we headed straight for the food court where Brianna ordered burgers and fries and coke. After our lunch we went to watch a movie. I was having lots of fun with Brianna. I forgot to be on guard. We shopped for clothes later. I was glad we weren't enemies anymore. After a quick dinner we drove home. It was around 8:00 pm. I was dozing in the car when we suddenly stopped. I sat up. Brianna and Olivia had been whispering.

"Were home?" I asked. Brianna smiled. "No were in town the one next to your home." Dad came here to get horse feed and Alison to buy groceries. "What are we doing here?" I asked.

Brianna opened the car door. "Have you ever been to Billy's?" I shook my head. "Where is that?" Olivia laughed. "You've never been there? It's one of the most popular bars in this area." A bar? "Guys I don't think my dad would approve of me going to a bar." Brianna playful nudged my shoulder. "Were not going to drink. I just wanna show it to you."

"Okay but I have to get going afterwards." Brianna wasn't listening. She was already walking towards the bar. Above the building glowing in yellow were the words Billy's Bar.

Brianna smiled and opened the door. The bell atop the door jingled and the bar fell silent. I was met with the stench of alcohol and smoke. I held back a gag. The lights were dim and there was a Stage at the back of the room that was, at the moment unoccupied.

The bar was on the right side where an old man was serving drinks to his customers. The restrooms were behind the stage. Chairs and tables covered most of the floor and they were all occupied. The people occupying them were staring at us lewdly. Mostly old men and young cowboys in their thirties.
There were barley any women in here. I shivered and avoided making any eye contact. Brianna sat down on one of the bar chairs, clearly enjoying the attention. Olivia followed her and both girls flipped their hairs and crossed their legs. Some of men wolf whistled. I quietly sat down on Brianna's left.

"Can we buy you girls a drink?" A bald man called with a Cowboys hat atop his head. Brianna laughed. "No thanks." She turned and smiled at the guy. I followed her gaze and noticed she was looking at the guy beside the bald man whom looked to be in his late thirties. He wore black cowboys hat atop his blonde hair that reached a bit down to his shoulders. His eyes were a striking blue and he wore what seemed to be a blue uniform of some sort, with white gloves. He had a bit of blonde stubble.

He wore black knee highs boots. His legs were crossed and he was looking at us. I leaned towards Olivia who was watching him too. "Who's that?" I asked.
"Oh him that's Ned Mcgivens one of the best riders here. He's also a captain. Isn't he handsome?"
A captain? That explained his uniform.

I ordered some sparkling apple juice and turned away. Ned was handsome there was no denying it, but this was insane. This bar was full of older men who were all drunk. Brianna smiled at a few of them as she ordered a glass of red wine.

I frowned. We were under age but clearly this bartender didn't seem to care. About fifteen minutes to ten, i left for bathroom. Bars weren't my kind of thing. And I wanted to leave as soon as possible. If my dad ever found out I'd be in deep trouble. I washed my hands and checked to make sure I had my bag before I left the bathroom.

I looked towards the bar and found that Brianna and Olivia had gone. My eyes widened. Where were they? They couldn't have gone to the bathroom I would have seen them. I walked up to the bartender. "Excuse me did you see where those two girls went?"

The bartender nodded. "They left about 5 minutes ago." "Okay thank you." I walked back towards the bathroom. They left me? But why? I had to call my dad and get out of here. I sent Brianna and Olivia a text hoping they would answer. I was about to walk back towards the bar when i saw Ned and the bald guy walking towards me.

Somehow I doubted they were headed for the bathroom. I looked behind and saw a door marked exit. I quickly opened it and found myself in the back of building with a large green dumpster behind me.

I started walking straight towards the road when two men appeared blocking my way out. I froze. It was Ned and the bald guy. "Now what's your hurry sweetheart?" asked Ned. I backed away towards the dumpster. I suddenly realized this had been Brianna's plan all along, to leave me here. How was I going to get out of this?

Kate's in trouble. Do you think Brianna and Olivia set her up? How will she get out of this and what do you those guys want? Cliffhanger