Pay Back

Picture of Kate and Spirit above. This picture is from the movie Flicka Country Pride.

I backed away as they both advanced. "Stay away from me!" I snapped. Ned raised his hands. "Hey look here young lady we're not looking for any trouble."
"Then let me go," I said, still backing away. Th bald guy laughed. Before Ned could respond I heard someone call out my name, "Kate?" I sighed in relief as Jacob pushed his way past Ned and the bald man. "What are you doing in a place like this?" He asked as he grabbed my arm and pulled me along with him.

Ned turned to watch us go, a faint smile on his face. "I was with Brianna and Olivia. But they left me," I said. Jacob frowned. "What were you doing with Captain Ned and Will? U know those guys are nothing but trouble."

I quickly explained everything to him. Jacob pulled out his phone. "I'll call Brianna. Maybe there's been a mistake."
I turned to him. "Stop defending your girlfriend. She took me to that bar on purpose and left me there."

Jacob remained silent. Then he said, "Would you like a ride home?" I turned away. "No thank you I'll call a taxi."

Jacob sighed. "I'm sorry Kate. Come on I'll take you home." I wanted to refuse, since he was so keen on defending Brianna but I had no other choice. I didn't even know where you had to go to get a taxi, thinking of Ned and that Will guy I hurried after Jacob.

Luckily I got home just on time. I told Jacob to stop at the gate. I quickly thanked him and ran back towards the house. Robert was standing on the porch talking to Tom. He looked up. "Hey Kate. Did you have fun?"

Far from it, but I smiled and said, "ya it was great." Tom smiled. "Didn't you buy any stuff when you went shopping?" I had forgotten I'd left my stuff in Brianna's car. I faked a laugh. "Oh ya I fell asleep and I forgot about the stuff but I'll call Brianna tomorrow."

I walked past my dad. "Night."
Once in my room i brushed my teeth, washed my face and changed into my pajamas. I sat on my bed. Why did Brianna hate me so much?
That girl clearly had issues.
Well fine two can play at this game. I decided to go early to my the lesson on Monday.

Tom drove me to Brianna's house early on Monday. Tom shook his head as he entered the gate. "I don't know why you had to come so early today." I shrugged.

"I wanted to practice early today before Ms. Moore arrived." Tom remained silent. He dropped me off and watched me go. I quickly ran to the stables and found Brianna's horse in her stall. I quickly grabbed her saddle and and used a shovel to flatten some horse dung onto it.

A few minutes later I left for the field taking Abby with me. About ten minutes later Olivia and Brianna arrived. Brianna saw me and burst out laughing. "Did you have fun with Ned?"

I took a deep breath to calm myself. We'll see who was going to be laughing in a few minutes. Ms Moore arrived. "Well as you all know the competitions are coming up in about 3 weeks and some of you are still not doing well. I want our team to be the best and to do that we have to work together."

Brianna shot me a nasty Look. "Mount up!" called Ms. Moore. I bit my lip to keep myself from smiling as we all mounted. A second later Brianna shrieked. "My saddle!" Her white riding pants was covered in the horse dung.

"These are new pants! I can't believe it!" She shrieked as she dismounted. Then she stormed over to me. "You did this!" She yelled causing Abby to nervously paw the grass.

I dismounted. "No I didn't why would I?" It was hard to keep the smile off my face. Brianna nearly spart in my face. "I know you did this. It's pay back isn't it? Look it's not my fault those guys came after you!"

My blood boiled. "Came after me? Came after me? You took me to that bar on purpose and left me there!"
"Enough!" yelled Ms Moore. She stepped between us. "I don't what happened but yelling at each other won't fix it."

Brianna laughed hysterically. "I want her gone! I want her out of my team!" Then she turned and stormed back inside. Ms. Moore stood staring at me. Then she turned around and said, "class dismissed."

I hurriedly walked away. It had been funny but now come to think of it, i shouldn't have done that. I shouldn't have stooped to Brianna's level.

I sighed and called Tom.

Finally after coming home I explained to my dad that the lesson had been canceled for today. I ate a quick lunch helped Alison with the dishes then ran outside to Spirit who grazing happily in the pasture.

He raised his beautiful head and softly nickered. I opened the gate and ran up to him. Spirit galloped towards me and gently nudged my shoulder.

For the rest of the day I played with Spirit. We played a game like tag. Every time I ran towards him and tried to touch his coat, when I did it was his turn to come after me.

He was gentle but I was still careful of his hooves. In the afternoon I dozed off beside Spirit, laying in the grass.

I woke to sound of Robert calling me. Spirit was already up. He had been grazing a few feet from where i lay. I stood up and dusted the grass and dirt from my pants then I walked over Robert, who stood beside a white convertible.

What was Brianna doing here? She stood talking to my dad. Her driver had just come out of our house. Alison stood watching by the door.

Robert smiled. "Kate, Brianna was kind enough to bring back your stuff." Brianna smiled sweetly. "It was my pleasure."
I snorted. Robert raised his eyebrows. "Well I'll leave you two girls alone."
Brianna smiled. My dad left and I immediately rounded on her.

"You dropped off my stuff thank you, now you can leave." Brianna rolled her eyes. "Aren't you going to show me around?"

"No. Now leave," I snapped, but she wasn't listening. Her eyes had fastened on something. I followed her gaze and saw that she was watching Spirit with a hungry expression on her face. My eyes widened in horror.

One day late I know and I'm sorry. Things start to get interesting in the chapters to come. From now on I'll update when I can, I'm too busy